Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

liuyuxinxin
Regular Visitor

Build a Slicer based on a measure

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to build a slicer based on a measure. That is I have a dynamic ranking based on the filtered data.  Like examples below, pic1& pic2,  I selected 'store' from category column, so right now I only have data for 'store', and "Ranking" meaure is dynamicly calculated. The same idea for the second picture. 

What I want is a slicer based on this dynamic "Ranking", so I can slice and dice the range of the "Ranking", like from 1 to 5, or 5 to 7, etc, which I will be able to see the chord diagram from any parts I am interestned in. ( like pic3)

pic1

example 1.PNG

pic2

example 2.PNG

pic3 

example 3.PNG

Any feedback will be highly appreciated! Thanks so much for reading!

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@liuyuxinxin,

Sorry for incorrect information. It is not possible to drag measures to page level filter. And it is not possible create slicer using measure, there is an idea about this issue, you can vote it up.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@liuyuxinxin,

It is not possible to create a slicer using a measure. But you can drag the measure to visual level filter of the table visual, then set value for the measure.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks so much, Lydia.

It helps, however it does not meet our users' expection.  

1. the "Visual Level Filters" will not sync the table and the chart at the same time.

2. the "Visual Level Filter" will not be available after I publish it, so users wont see or use it.

I am new to PowerBI, apologize if there are solutions for above. Any feedback will be super helpful! 

Thanks & Regards,

@liuyuxinxin

It is not possible to create a slicer using measure. You can create a calculated column to calculate rank, but the rank will not be dynamic.

To sync chart and table visual in a report page, you can drag the measure to Page level filter. To sync chart and table visual in all report pages, you can drag the measure to Report level filter.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Really appreciate your help, Lydia! 

Unforuntately, we need rank to be dynamic.  I tried your way that drag down the measure to page level filter, but unfortunately, it did not work out for me. 

Any insights why PowerBI does not support a slicer on a measure? Would it be a good proposal or feature to be considered?

Thanks!

@liuyuxinxin,

Sorry for incorrect information. It is not possible to drag measures to page level filter. And it is not possible create slicer using measure, there is an idea about this issue, you can vote it up.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's possible to create a slicer dynamically.

Can you take a look at the following article..

Dynamic Segmentation

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.