Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michaelsh
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Bugs while working with External Monitors

When I open Power BI Desktop on external monitors sometimes when I click on a certain menues, buttons it doesn't react.

It is not stuck - when I change the Display setting to "Duplicate" then it is working alright even without re-openning the app.

I have two ThinkVision T24i-2L 1920*1080 monitors (set to 100%) and Thinkpad P1 Gen 4 laptop with 16'' 2560*1600 (set to 150%).

I've found this post with similar issue: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerBI/comments/db8wve/display_issue/

It recommends to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

What does it mean? I don't want to ruin something else, my problem appears occasionally.

Please explain how it works

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelsh ,

When you use a high-DPI device such as a Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book together with external monitors, you experience the following issues:

• Elements such as applications, the taskbar, icons, toolbars, text, and dialog boxes appear to be fuzzy.

• Elements are too large or too small compared to the rest of the desktop.

• Blurry text appears in applications or in the Windows interface.

Although these symptoms may be seen on a single monitor, they're more common when you use multiple monitors that vary in display resolution. 

Solution:

Match screen resolutions Consider deploying monitors that have complementary screen resolutions.

When you use multiple monitors (including when you dock or connect to remote screens), a greater difference in the resolution between the native device and external device is more likely to cause the issues to occur. For more information, see the following OneDrive presentation:

More details: Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices 

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details with a screenshoot.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelsh ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case and help more people find the answer please. Thanks in advance. Or if you have resolved the issue, please share your way.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelsh ,

When you use a high-DPI device such as a Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, or Surface Book together with external monitors, you experience the following issues:

• Elements such as applications, the taskbar, icons, toolbars, text, and dialog boxes appear to be fuzzy.

• Elements are too large or too small compared to the rest of the desktop.

• Blurry text appears in applications or in the Windows interface.

Although these symptoms may be seen on a single monitor, they're more common when you use multiple monitors that vary in display resolution. 

Solution:

Match screen resolutions Consider deploying monitors that have complementary screen resolutions.

When you use multiple monitors (including when you dock or connect to remote screens), a greater difference in the resolution between the native device and external device is more likely to cause the issues to occur. For more information, see the following OneDrive presentation:

More details: Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices 

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details with a screenshoot.

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.