I'm pretty sure it's a bug but figured I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it. Each time (whether Direct Query or various import connectors), each time I parameterize the Server/Url or database, it always gives me an ODBC error initially. After you press close and try to Apply, all is well. But this has happened several times. Since it always works after trying again it's not really a problem as much of an annoyance, but just wondering if other people are encountering it all the time or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Neither. Only the first time when I create it. on the connection dialog for server or url, you can use the drop down to create a parameter there. The first time you try to load it fairly consistently gives that error, if you just close and hit OK it works. Its really not a big deal, at most its a 20 second delay and if I create the param first before connecting it seems to work. Thank you though.
Also, just to be clear, it only happens initially, and I just am using a standard text parameter. If I change it, the same thing happens, (changing it from Dev to Prod) but after the initial error message, I just hit Close and then Apply then it'll recognize it.
Thanks for responding. So I just created a Parameter, in this case, it's called CrmEndpoint and just has a single value of the URI for the endpoint. The same seems to happen with Server when I use Direct Query. Walking through the steps:
1- I Choose Get Data
2-I select my Data Source
3-I get prompted to enter the respective value (Uri, Database Server etc).
4-Instead of entering a hard coded value, I choose New Parameter, give it a name and then set the value.
At that point I consistently get an ODBC error message, (I'll run into it agian this evening, I'll update with a screen shot, I don't have one now). Now, when I select Close (modal dialog on error message that only offers option to close), whenever I hit Apply/Close and Apply, generally works fine and if it doesn't, one more Apply and it will.
So I decided to try to create the paramters first, thinking maybe there's a timing issue, create then apply. It's happened there too, it's like it's not recognizing the value but it knows it's there. If you were to try to use Get Data but leave a blank value, there's validation that won't let you do it. But when you specify a new parameter, it's pretty consistent, at least on my end (again, may well be something I'm just doing wrong). Yet as soon as it closes and I try to apply, it loads fine. Hence, it's not blocking me from doing anything and at most it's a mild inconvenience, but figured if it was common enough it might be worth letting MS know about.
This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!
Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!
Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!
Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.