Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Bug on auto-refresh for visual formatting?

Hi.  Small issue:   Visuals in a particular PowerBI file of mine do not automatically refresh to show formatting changes.   Manually clicking the Refresh menu bar works.....but not automatic refresh  (see below for an example of a screenshot where the visual has not automatically refreshed).    Is this a setting / feature or a bug? 

charleshale_0-1622642859400.png

This same file also has another odd behavior that might be related:  when I set a column to Summarize as below...

charleshale_1-1622643332110.png

....The column should show with a Summarize sigma sign and autosum when put into a visual but it is not.

charleshale_2-1622643445702.png

Methinks I have missed or accidentally changed a setting somewhere on how data is handled.  Any advice?     Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've figured out the Summarization failure.    It is a known bug we have encountered several times where values fail to get recognized as values even though they are shown as such throughout the data lineage.   The only solution that works is in DAX to add a column with an express INT() or VALUE() of the column of values that fails to get treated as such.    

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Pragati11 Latest version:  2.93.981.0 64-bit (May 2021) 

Seeing the formatting issue in Table and Matrix visualizations 

And seeing the Summarize failing on Data/Column Tools/Summarization button as well as on fields pane  -- that's where the snapshots are from

Hi @charleshale ,

What is the type of datasource you are using?

I don't see these issues at my end with the latest Power BI Desktop May 2021 version.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Excel and CSVs.   It doesnt appear to be a datasource issue because everything else other than formatting refreshes and redoing the file from scratch doesnt have the problems.   Feels more like a bug or a setting I accidentally changed somewhere

Hi @charleshale ,

As far I know there is no setting to disable Summarisation in Power BI until and unless you do it under column tools.

Is the datatype of AMOUNT column numeric?

I don't see this issue at my end.

Pragati11_0-1622649643042.png

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Yes - source data numeric.  It's strange.  I can't reproduce the issue in other files either, which leads me to think it's some kind of bug with the new release -- perhaps related to using tabular editor -- which is when I think the issue started.   Must have corrupted the file somehow

HI @charleshale,

I am confident it is not a bug in latest release as I don't see this issue at my end.

Could be something with the file corruption.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @charleshale ,

What version of Power BI Desktop are you using in which you are seeing these issues?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

I've figured out the Summarization failure.    It is a known bug we have encountered several times where values fail to get recognized as values even though they are shown as such throughout the data lineage.   The only solution that works is in DAX to add a column with an express INT() or VALUE() of the column of values that fails to get treated as such.    

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.