Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Diptesh
Regular Visitor

Bug: move column in query not reflected in data view

Hi, 

I moved a cloumn "Key" in Query editor to the begining as shown below but the same is not reflected in Data in view.

Query Editor.JPGDataView.JPG

I found a link that provides a solution to this

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/move-column-in-query-not-reflected-in-data-view/m-p/408194#M...

But i think the option given in the tool to rearrange the columns should work seamlessly wihout any issues.

can this be reported as a bug and fixed in upcoming releases? i am currently using the June release

PB_June.JPG

Regards,

Diptesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Diptesh,

I'm sorry for misunderstand your issue.

If we want to update the column re-arranged format in Data view. You could follow the steps below.

1.Go to Editor Query and re-arrrange the column and then right click table, untick the option Enable Load.

Untitled.png

2. Close and Apply

3. Click Editor Queries, and right click table, tick the option Enable Load.

4.Close and Apply and Click Refresh in Data view, then you could see the update column arrange.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Dringenio

I think this must be a BUG, if you have several relations or calculated field, create a new query is not a good option,  I know this is the only solution, but every time a columns in a query change the order of this table change on data management view, because preserver the original order and add a the new columns to the end on the view, this still happened today on the most recent version 😕

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Diptesh,

But i think the option given in the tool to rearrange the columns should work seamlessly wihout any issues.

can this be reported as a bug and fixed in upcoming releases? i am currently using the June release 

This is not a bug, it is by design. We could only move the column in Query Editor then apply it to Data view.

In addition, you could vote this similar idea in Power BI idea Forum.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

The issue here is that the columns re-arranged or moved using the query editor are not reflected in the Data View once i click close and apply. Please refer to screen shot in my first post.

Regards,

Diptesh

Hi @Diptesh,

I'm sorry for misunderstand your issue.

If we want to update the column re-arranged format in Data view. You could follow the steps below.

1.Go to Editor Query and re-arrrange the column and then right click table, untick the option Enable Load.

Untitled.png

2. Close and Apply

3. Click Editor Queries, and right click table, tick the option Enable Load.

4.Close and Apply and Click Refresh in Data view, then you could see the update column arrange.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unticking the "Enabled Load" removed that entity from my data model completely.

I have the exact same issue, and this also caused the entity to be removed for me. 

Hi @v-piga-msft 

About this issue - using the below solution is easy when the user has not used the table in any visualisation or measure. I'm also facing a similar issue however, column arrangement shown in power query mode is not the same in Data view. and it's not allowing me to create a new relationship and giving circular reference error. Also, I can not use the below solution as I've already designed my entire Report using another database (with 100+ measures) and using the same as a template to replicate for other databases in the organisation. 

do we have any other option to deal with this issue? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Thank you very much. That helps.

Regards,

Diptesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this, using Power BI Desktop Aug 2018. Doesn't work. No matter what I do columns always appear in alphabetical order in Data Window, only on the Edit queries Window do they appear in the correct order (same as in original table). Just another bug in Power BI not fixed properly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.