Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ontario234
Helper I
Helper I

Bug in November 2017 update

Hi,

memory_error_new.jpgI just downloaded the November version of power BI desktop and its showing "memory allocation error" while refreshing the data. My data is sitting in MS access stored in separate table for each year (2010, 2011, ...2017). All these tables are imported in power BI and are then "appended" in power BI to create master table "ALL". When I right click on "ALL" to refresh the data, I am getting the following error. I NEVER had this issue for the previous versions of power BI. Could someone please look into it?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ontario234,

When you use Append functionality to append huge data from large tables, you may get the above error. Please use Union function to get required columns from different tables following the Eric’s suggestion in this similar thread, then check if you can refresh data in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for replying Lydia. I need all the columns from all the tables and can't afford to choose one over the other. My Pbix desktop that contains that data that I mentioned in the question above is about 98MB, which is only 0.098 GB.

1) Is this too big of a file size for power BI to create memory issues?

2) selecting only few columns to make it work would make power BI useless for me as I work in a fast paced environemnt and might get request to create reports from any of the column we are collecting data on. The total # of columns that I have for each table is 93. Are these too many columns for power BI to handle?

TEMP SOLUTION that I have found is:

check this link:  http://radacad.com/performance-tip-for-power-bi-enable-load-sucks-memory-up

- - Disable load all my year tables (except the "ALL" table since this is the one I am using to create my reports).

-- By disabling, the data still gets refreshed but doesnt get loaded into model (which i dont even need for the years in the model) and helps you save memory. I did this and was able to refresh the data wiothout any issues. Also, my pbix file has been reduced to 66 MB from 98 MB.

However, I am afraid that as soon as I hit 98 MB again, the refresh would stop working again.

Is it possible for you power BI developers to SOLVE this issue as there might be many users who wouldnt want to sacrifice their data columns to make it work?

@ontario234,

The main issue is caused by that you apply Append functionality on multiple large tables. You can use the DAX below to create Master table.

Master= Union(Table1,Table2,Table3,Table4,...TableN)

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ontario234
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

memory_error_new.jpgI just downloaded the November version of power BI desktop and its showing "memory allocation error" while refreshing the data. My data is sitting in MS access stored in separate table for each year (2010, 2011, ...2017). All these tables are imported in power BI and are then "appended" in power BI to create master table "ALL". When I right click on "ALL" to refresh the data, I am getting the following error. I NEVER had this issue for the previous versions of power BI. Could someone please look into it?

I had the same issue with the most recent version of PowerBI desktop. I found if i disabled the "Enable Parrell Loading of Tables" and the "Autodect New relationships" within the Data Load for Current File with in the options section it allowed me to Load the required tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.