Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bug in Desktop, Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (mars 2020) - Error when "Apply query changes"

Prewiew in Power Query works fine, but when when I try to update it fail with this error message:

Apply query changes"

Queries Metadata:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'tmsavepointvalidation.cpp', line 458, function 'TMSavePoint::VerifyProxyCreationAllowed').

I have never seen this error before... May be it has to do with the new feature enhanced metadata format?

Reagards!

34 REPLIES 34
JaremRR
Frequent Visitor

+1, same issue here.

This resolved the issue:

Turning on most of the Preview features under File, Options and settings, Options menu.

Preview features turned ON 

Wesleyvanv
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here, since April release getting below error and not able to solve it.

An unexpected error occurred (file 'tmsavepointvalidation.cpp', line 408, function 'TMSavePoint::VerifyProxyCreationAllowed')

Zarek
Helper I
Helper I

This issue is still present in May issue of PowerBI Desktop, and I don't have any folders in Power Query.

But the bug is Power Query related since if you try to delete 1 column from any of the tables 

in the Power Query the error will appear once you try to apply the changes.

The only workaround for me is deleting in the model view, and I am not happy about it.

tobimax

Hi,

I had this issue and what worked for me was to go into the Transform Data screen and switch off each query (Untick Enable Load) and click Apply. Once the error disappeared and the data loaded I could re-enable each query and they all worked again.

Hope that helps.

Toby.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This approach works for me! Thanks!

I had the same issue after I updated my view in snowflake. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cons for this approach: the masures/columns you created will be removed and visual may be broken. 

Another method worth trying: Remove the incremental refresh and refresh your dataset again.

This works for me and all the masures/columns are kept.

All issues have been fixed for me in the recent May update (I mean version 2.81.5831.761 released on May 19th). I'm able to apply query changes without any problems now

Unfortunately, the issue is still present in May release 😞

drbr
Helper II
Helper II

A somehow obvious temp workaround, as you can not Apply changes is:

1. Prior discarding changes go back to Power Query
  2. For each edited Query go to Advanced Editor
  3. Copy whole text to a text editor (Notepad) for backup, as you will lose changes after you discard changes in step 4 (Notepad)
  4. Now discard changes (this will keep Group/Query that is obviously a reason for the bug)
  5. Enter Power Query again
  6. Go to Advanced Editor of the desired Query
  7. Overwrite content with one from Notepad
  8. DO NOT DELETE ANY Group/Query (at least until the bug is resolved in another wonderful BI Desktop update)
  9. Apply changes...

This worked, at least for me. The procedure for newly created queries is similar.

Fin365

Same issue after deleting Groups of queries that had been referenced in Merged tables

Workaround I discovered

1. Remove references to Queries in Merged Table
  2. Apply chagnes
  3. Delete individual Queries under the Groups
  4. Apply changes
  5. Delete empty Groups

Hope that helps

Daniel122
Employee
Employee

I can confirm that this happens when deleting a query folder. No issues when not. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed my issue was due to deleting a query folder. The Preview feature "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format" was never enabled for me.

I can confirm this is the case.  Enhanced metadata not enabled, but deleting a folder resulted in the failure to occur.

Hi @Anonymous ,

What is the version of your Power BI Desktop? Could you please try to reproduce this issue on a blank pbix file after restart Power BI Desktop? Does your error information be similar with the one in the origin post?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm currently on 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020).  I encountered my issue when i deleted the Query Error Folder that gets created when your data gets loaded but contains some errors. yes, the issue is exactly like the screenshot shown above. 

Exactly the same situation here .  I'm using version 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (march 2020).

Another test: I deactivated all preview features and deleted all queries to get an empty report with no data and I got the same error. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have similiar issues. I thought that something with the report is wrong, but I haven't change nothing. Some errors occur when I refresh the report (pbix) and in case of succesfull refresh some tables are not refreshed completely (missing records). Two days ago Power Query says error in column type and failed to refresh. Next time refreshed, that's was very wierd. Now I tried to Refresh All in Power Query and refresh again the report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, just started getting the same issue as well. Happened after I added a column to a query. Worked fine in Query window; error appeared when attempting to apply to PowerBI Desktop report.

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , @Anonymous ,

Sorry for that we cannot reproduce this issue here and we also did not seen this kind of error before, Does it only happened in the March 2020 version of Power BI Desktop? Are there any change applied to power query editor before orrur this error? Does this error only happen in spetical report or all  reports? Have you tried to re-install the Power BI Desktop or use the MS Store version?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.