Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CasperR

Bug - Specific PBIX file crashes on load - cannot be used at all - need to export Data Model

Hi all,

New user of Power BI here, really liking the product, but when I made my first dashboard, suddenly the PBIX file has become unusable, when it is opened (I tried on multiple computers, Win 8.1 and Win 10) the program becomes unresponsive and I can't do anything. I have waited for hours in vain for it to become responsive again. It happened after adding a new Page and subsequently deleting it.

I don't really care much about the Dashboard which is easy to recreate but it would really be a bummer if the Data Model is gone now too.

1. Any way to export the Data Model to another PBIX file or other format ?

2. Would like to send the PBIX file to Microsoft so they can improve PBI.

Thanks in advance. I'm using the latest October update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I haven't experienced this issue, so my help is going to be limited. But my suggestions, in order:

1. Click the smile in Power BI Desktop (top left by the save icon) and send a frown. That goes to the Power BI team at Microsoft and they do listen and reply (and might want to see your file).

2. The PBIX can be renamed to a zip extension and then you can go in and look at the underlying components. Perhaps they'd be something you could do to make the file usable again (moving the data model to a blank PBIX file you created for example). No promises and use a copy of the original PBIX file in case you corrupt it.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I haven't experienced this issue, so my help is going to be limited. But my suggestions, in order:

1. Click the smile in Power BI Desktop (top left by the save icon) and send a frown. That goes to the Power BI team at Microsoft and they do listen and reply (and might want to see your file).

2. The PBIX can be renamed to a zip extension and then you can go in and look at the underlying components. Perhaps they'd be something you could do to make the file usable again (moving the data model to a blank PBIX file you created for example). No promises and use a copy of the original PBIX file in case you corrupt it.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors