Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Budgets by Department

Hi,

I have a table with budgets by department like this:

Budget ABudget BBudget CBudget DBudget EBudget FTotal BudgetTotal SpentTotal RemainingJob 
10020040030001501150850300Alpha

And a Table of line items on a job like this:

Amount SpentDepartmentJob
50AAlpha
250BAlpha
350CAlpha
0DAlpha
0EAlpha
100FAlpha
100BAlpha

How can I model this so that I can build a graph that shows Departments along the X axis with Budget next to Amount spent?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @Anonymous 

for the most straight forward solution I would rearrange the budget table to this

DepartmentJobBudget
AAlpha100

B

Alpha200
CAlpha400
DAlpha300
EAlpha0
FAlpha150

And create a Department dimension/table and a Job dimension/table with relationship to both Budget-table and Amount spent-table.

As Total budget is the sum of the department budgets, there is no need to have a separate entry for that in a table. The same goes for total spent and total remaining. You should handle these 3 values as measures. I made a report, based on the data you have provided: .pbix

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Just do as @ElenaN  said before, but you need to replace the value ("budget" to blank) that after unpivot other columns.
test_0128.PNG

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @Anonymous 

for the most straight forward solution I would rearrange the budget table to this

DepartmentJobBudget
AAlpha100

B

Alpha200
CAlpha400
DAlpha300
EAlpha0
FAlpha150

And create a Department dimension/table and a Job dimension/table with relationship to both Budget-table and Amount spent-table.

As Total budget is the sum of the department budgets, there is no need to have a separate entry for that in a table. The same goes for total spent and total remaining. You should handle these 3 values as measures. I made a report, based on the data you have provided: .pbix

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

ElenaN
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hello,

Based on the sample data you provided, you could try to:

- modify the Budget table in PQ, by selecting the last 4 columns and choosing Unpivot other columns.

- Then once you have a row for each budget, split the newly created Budget column so you get a column with the word "Budget" and then another column with the name of your department

- make sure you have a dimension table for both Job and Department

- link the Line items table and the Budget table with Job and Department

- create the Amount Spent measure and the Budget measure

- create the graph as per your needs

Best regards,

ElenaN

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.