Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omillzy
Helper III
Helper III

Budget vs Actual visual using only measures (e.g, variance chart, or tornado chart)

All of our budgets/targets are stored seperately to our source data in spreadsheets. In addition the budgets are at a higher level of granularity to source data (budgets by month, region, product).

I have a bunch of measures like this:
# Leads (Actual)
# Leads (Budget)
# Opportunities (Actual)
# Opportunities (Budget)
and so, for each stage of our sales pipeline...

Essentially, I want to be able to compare either variance between the 2, or skewness of the funnel (a skew to the right would show we are above budget, a skew to the left would mean we are below for example).

I have seen the tornado chart work well for this, except this requires a grouping variable (e.g, sales stage) and does not work for measures. I have also seen xViz has a variance chart which just shows + or - difference between the two figures, however this also relies on a grouping category.

The only solution I can think of is aggregating my source data up to the same level of granularity as the budgets, union the two datasets and creating a column called 'datasource' (with Budget and Actual as values), however, I want to avoid doing as it will require a lot of manipulation and becomes troublesome when users want to see the underlying data points for the actual figures.

Are there any custom visuals out there that I can just drag and drop my measures on and create a tornado chart, or variance chart?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @omillzy  - 

This is the standard bar chart. I've done what you're trying to do by creating Positive and Negative measures for each measure I want shown. Basically

BudgVarNeg = IF([AllSpend] <> 0, IF([BudgVar] > 0, [BudgVar]))

BudgVarPos = IF([AllSpend] <> 0, IF([BudgVar] <= 0, [BudgVar]))

Then used a stacked bar chart with both of those measures as values, assigning Neg to Red and Pos to Green (don't mind the line - it's not related to what you're asking, and I know this is a column chart but the principle should be the same for a horizontal bar chart).

2021-06-25 08_46_28-Window.png

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @omillzy  - is this the look you're going for? Simply a horizontal bar chart showing the variances (it's actually two chart, I just removed the Y-axis from the right-most chart)

2021-06-25 08_33_20-Window.png

Hope this helps

David

Basically, yes - I know the standard bar chart can do this but I couldn't figure out how to conditionally format the colours to neg was red and pos is green, is this a custom visual or standard bar chart? 

Hi @omillzy  - 

This is the standard bar chart. I've done what you're trying to do by creating Positive and Negative measures for each measure I want shown. Basically

BudgVarNeg = IF([AllSpend] <> 0, IF([BudgVar] > 0, [BudgVar]))

BudgVarPos = IF([AllSpend] <> 0, IF([BudgVar] <= 0, [BudgVar]))

Then used a stacked bar chart with both of those measures as values, assigning Neg to Red and Pos to Green (don't mind the line - it's not related to what you're asking, and I know this is a column chart but the principle should be the same for a horizontal bar chart).

2021-06-25 08_46_28-Window.png

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.