Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Budget Grouping (Relationship and Unique Values)

Dear All, 

Could you please assist me with the below problem ?

I have sales data that contains the date of transaction, country of transaction, like below:

ID - Country - Sold Total

ABC1 -  DE - 3

ABC2 - PO - 2

ABC3 - FR - 9

ABC4 - US - 8

ABC - MX - 7

ABC - PE - 6

This data should be summed and compared to a Budget, the problem is that the Budget can be either a country or a continent.

For example, we have a budget for US only , totalizing 890 sold units and a Budget for Europe (Including DE , PL and FR, all other countries have their own Budget), as below:

Region - Budget

US - 990

NL - 540

SP - 320

EU - 480

The approach I made was to create a new table containing the country and the Budget Region they belong to, therefore as below

Sold Country - Region

US - US

NL - NL

MX - MX

DE - EU

PL - EU

FR - EU

My thought was, if I create a realationship from the sales data Country with this new table sold country, I would be able to include all resuslts from DE,PO,FR in the region EU, but it is not working

The Matrix in Power Bi show as:

Region - Sold Unit

"Blank" - 480

US - 990

NL - 540

SP - 320

EU - 480

So it does not work with EU. Would anyone know the reason why?

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It's not working because you don't have a country level budget. You cannot show DE , PL, and FR sales sparately, you can only show EU sales because that's what your budget granularity is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.