Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Voose
Helper III
Helper III

Bucketing totals across relationships

Hi All,

I'm looking to work out how many units that are as part of a container have been used and wether or not those units are consumed and after that to see wether or not they are expired.

Example:

image.png

In the above examples I would want to get the following results:

For project 1 55 has been consumed and assuming the date = 02/12/2017 then we know that container 1 and 2 are expired.

I would want to know that there is 25 expired amount for project 1

The next one would look at project 2 and because of the sequencing it would mean that there are 0 expired Amount

for project 3 there are 30 expired amount because the container 1 is number 3 in the sequence therefore it would have to use the other 2 containers first befoer that one and therefore I would want to know that there is 30 expired amount for Project 3

In total I have 30+25 = 55 Expired units that need dealing with and I know the associated projects and containers

I'm trying to write a measure that would achieve the above but I'm struggling 😞 I've simplified my example, in reality all of these fields are in different objects - I.E. Projects are 1 object Sequencing and Expiry are in another object and the containers and amount are a 3rd object.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Voose

7 REPLIES 7
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Voose,

Based on my experience, the point is to make good use of Cumulative Total.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Morning,

So for my understanding, we could use this:

Cumulative Quantity :=
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Transactions[Quantity] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Date'[Date] ),
        'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
    )
)

To total all of those that are before a certain expiry date then minus that off the total amount consumed and if a negative number then ignore, if positive that thats the amount thats expired. However in the example I've given I've just given the total amount consumed, in reality there would be a bunch of lines that equal that total and each of those lines would have a certain amount that they would take away from the container, how do I ensure that these are done in the right sequence?

Thanks

Voose

@Voose,

While calculating the cumulative total, use the sequence instead of date.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-chuncz-msft,

I'm still not sure I understand I still need to use the expiry date to ensure that I'm only minusing those consumed vs those that are already expired?

Thanks

Voose

@Voose,

That's the second part. It's a little bit complicated. First you need to get the remaining containers and the corresponding amount.

@v-chuncz-msft

Ok cool got the first part working, see below:

Cumulative Budget Amount = calculate(sum(Budget[pse__Amount__c]),filter(Budget,Budget[Budget_Sequence_Number__c]<=max(Budget[Budget_Sequence_Number__c])))

I've tested this so I know that its returning a cumulative amount per project, what would you recommend as a next step?

Thanks

Voose

@Voose,

For simplicity, add a calculated column showing remaining amount for each project container, then the measure is obvious.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.