Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TReynolds
Helper I
Helper I

Bubbles/shapes on map no longer semi-transparent

I'm working in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service on a Mac and a PC. No matter what device or platform I create a bubble/shape map, the bubbles/shapes are completely opaque. Here's an example:

TReynolds_0-1598284273267.png

It looks like map bubbles/shapes used to be semi-transparent (i.e., on older reports/dashboards created elsewhere). Am I doing something wrong?

This is driving me nuts.

Cheers,

T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TReynolds you can change the color though seems like it changed after conditional formatting is available for this visual.

parry2k_0-1598284570278.png

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
julianalizarazo

Buenas noches, puedo cambiar las burbujas en un mapa por una imagen? por ejemplo un carro o aviones?

Agradezco sus comentarios

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TReynolds , I do not see any transparency option in the latest version for bubble

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @TReynolds ,

Which map are you using and what version of Power BI Desktop?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @Pragati11 

It's the same outcome for either the Map or the Filled Map from the Visualizations menu, and I'm using:

Power BI Desktop Version 2.84.802.0 64-bit (August 2020)

Thanks for your quick response,

Travis

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@TReynolds you can change the color though seems like it changed after conditional formatting is available for this visual.

parry2k_0-1598284570278.png

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k 

I'm able to change the colour without issue. It's the transparency that's a problem. It looks like bubbles/shapes would come in semi-transparent by default in older versions of Power BI (I'm new to Power BI so I can't attest to this firsthand).

Thanks for your helps.

T

Hi @TReynolds ,

I never remember having a transparency option for Bubbles in previous versions.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11

I'm not looking to set the transparency. I'd just like the bubbles/shapes to not be opaque by default.

Here's an image from the Microsoft Power BI tips and tricks page on maps:

power-bi-sent-to-bing-new.png

The bubbles on the example are semi-transparent. Whe I try to create a map, the bubbles or shape all come in opaque.

Untitled.png

Is there a default setting or something else that I'm missing?

Regards,

T

Hi @TReynolds ,

I do realise that they may have chnaged this in recent updates.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@TReynolds as mentioned previously seems like it is changed when conditional formatting for maps is introduced. you can use conditional formatting to set the transparency color but I found the bug that when you add transparency code in the hex value, it removes data color options in the Format pane. see this video but maybe this can get your started.

Hi @parry2k ,

Thanks for your help. I can't seem to find the link to the video you mention in your post (apologies, I'm new to the Power BI message boards and am still trying to find my feet). Can you repost it?

I have tried to change the colour using a measure in the Format by Field Value, but can actually get the Power BI to link to the Measure I've created (I used the video by Havens Consulting as the basis for my attempt).

Thanks for your help,

T

@TReynolds video/gif was attached to my previous reply, you can also check it here.

@parry2k 

Thanks. Sorry I missed the video/gif on your original post. Quick question, where are you adding the code and how do you get it to link to your map? I just need that extra step to figure out what's going on.

Thank you very much.

T

@TReynolds add a measure and use that code and then click fx next to data color and use this measure for conditional formatting:

parry2k_0-1598292393154.png

Hi @parry2k ,

I've completed Steps 1 through 3. The problem happens when I bring up the "Field value". I don't get a window that simply allows me to enter something based on the field. What I get is this:

Field Value Window.png

I can't select any Measure in the "Based on field" dropdown. Has Microsoft changed this too, or am I missing something?

Thank you for your patience.

T

@TReynolds summarization option is based on the field you select, currently you haven't selected any field and that's why you are seeing these two options, if you pick field with data type number, you will have more options.

I like to create a measure and then use that so I have better control to make these changes.

Hi @parry2k,

Thanks for your help. I've created Measure using the code from your example. The problem is that I can't pick any Measure fields from the "Based on field" dropdown. I can select a Measure in the other Format by boxes (e.g., Color scale), but not in "Field value" (and when I do select the Measure in either "Color scale" or "Rule" when I go to "Field value" the "Based on field" box is red and I have to select a different field to go forward). Here's an example (first animated GIF I've made so bear with me):

field-problem.gif

The default "Field value" is the Summarization and I can't select anything else. All of the Measures are greyed out.

greyed-out.png

Here's the Measure I'm trying to use (is there an issue there?).

Color Measure.PNG

Do I need to select the "color" Measure someplace else first?

Again, thanks for your patience.

T

@TReynolds seems you add color as a column, not a measure make sure it is a measure

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.