Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bubble size for negative values in map visualisation

I have latitude and longitude coordinates for business locations.

I have historical data that I want to filter the bottom 20 locations for cost impact.

The cost impact for these bottom 20 is subsequently negative, where the worst performer is the most negative and for the 2nd worst through to 20th worst, the values would be becoming closer to zero, or potentially even positive depending on the other slicers applied for a page.

When I create my map, the most negative value is the smallest bubble, and as the values get closer to 0 the size of the bubbles increase. I want the biggest bubble to be the most negative so that when i look at the map i can focus on the worst performers first.

Is there a setting that can be applied that rather than the bubble size increasing as the number increases, that the bubble size increases as the number decreases?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hey @Anonymous , hey @parry2k 

please excues i hit the "mark as answer" button by accident, please uncheck the post as answer.

I just wanted to say: just multply the [cost] measure with -1, this will "convert" the largest negativ numbers into the largest positive numbers and vice versa. Then you will also have the proper bubble size.

I assume you have to be aware of the "tooltip".

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

@Anonymous solution is attached, I believe this will do it. Take a look.  There are 3 measures and also have to use tooltip page to show the tooltip on the map, and "Cost Bubble" measure will give the size.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous may be create another measure for bubble size, assuming you have measure called "Cost Impact", create one for bubble using following expression and use that on map

Cost Impact Bubble = ABS( [Cost Impact])

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2kusing this formula Cost Impact Bubble = ABS( [Cost Impact]) the map now shows the worst performers to have the biggest bubble, which is good however it encounters a different problem. This would only work if all the rows of data contain negative values, but in many cases there may be for instance 8 rows of negative impact, and 2 rows of positive impact (ie.)

Original Column: -10, -10, -10, -10, -10, -10, -10, -10, 5, 5 = -70. (So with the ABS i would hope it sums to +70). Using Cost Impact Bubble = ABS( [Cost Impact]), the way it sums the numbers is: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5 = 90.

@Anonymous great problem to solve, can you share pbix file thru onedrive/google drive. remove any sensitive information it contains. Have few ideas which I would like to try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2ki have just generated a random spreadsheet of data.

I put in some random cities and the number has just been generated at random between -1000 and 1000 so that there is a mix of positive and negative values..

I created a sum of costs table so that once you have created your map you can validate if the sum of numbers in powerbi matches that of the excel file (positives not counted as negatives as per issue)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZ5y3p7E3tS3HdIUF_AqVibjDVqHUWks/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have troubles with the link.

Hey @Anonymous , hey @parry2k 

please excues i hit the "mark as answer" button by accident, please uncheck the post as answer.

I just wanted to say: just multply the [cost] measure with -1, this will "convert" the largest negativ numbers into the largest positive numbers and vice versa. Then you will also have the proper bubble size.

I assume you have to be aware of the "tooltip".

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens unfortunately that approach will not work, think if all numbers are positive, in that case multiplying by -1 will take largest +ve number to largest -ve number and that is not @Anonymous wants.

@Anonymous solution is attached, I believe this will do it. Take a look.  There are 3 measures and also have to use tooltip page to show the tooltip on the map, and "Cost Bubble" measure will give the size.

@TomMartens Sorry I think what you suggested would work, you are right as always 🙂 Only thing he has to do is to create a tooltip to show correct number which you already suggested. 

@Anonymous please use @TomMartens approach and create a tooltip page to show correct value. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k @TomMartens both ways work, toms way is probably the least complicated.

Just a query though, when i do it by multipling by -1 and using this as the bubble size is there a way of removing that number from appearing in the tooltips. Even though it helps for achieving the size of the bubble, when i hover over the value it is telling me for instance the cost is $500, whereas i want it to only say $-500. I can put the original column in as a tooltip to get that -500, but can i remove the $500 value (which is determining the bubble size) from appearing when i hover over a bubble, aswell as removing the longitude/latitude values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.