Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Breaking down the normal distribution by attributes

Hey,

We have just conducted a survey and I'm looking to understand if the respondents who answered the survey are representitive of our population as a whole. Mainly, are we getting the same proportion of learner in our sample as in the population at large

I want to conduct a two tailed Significance Test for a Proportion. I have started by looking to lift the Norm.Dist() formula from Excel.. but I can't get it to break down by sector

for the left tailed hypothesis 

NORM.DIST([Percentage of respondents by sector],[Percentage in population by sector],COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED('Learner Experience Baseline data')),1)

But when drop this measure in a table, all sectors return the same result.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

First of all, your model relationship may be a bit problematic, it should be like this:

f7.PNG

Secondly, the results returned by your two percentage measures may have problems, please refer to the following formula:

Percent of respondents = 
VAR x = 
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT('Sample'[External Data Reference]),
    ALLEXCEPT(
        'Sample',
        'Sample'[Sector]
    )
)
VAR y = 
CALCULATE(
    ALL('Sample')
)
RETURN
DIVIDE(
    x,
    y,
    BLANK()
)

Percent of total Population = 
VAR x = 
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT(Population[ID]),
    ALLEXCEPT(
        'Population',
        'Population'[Sector]
    )
)
VAR y = 
CALCULATE(
    ALLSELECTED('Sample'[Sector])
)
RETURN
 DIVIDE(
    x,
    y,
    BLANK()
) 
Left_Tailed_Hypothesis = 
NORM.DIST(
    [Percent of respondents], 
    [Percent of total Population],
    TRUE()
)

f9.PNG

The value of COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED('Sample')) is too big, which is not suitable for Standard_dev parameters.
And its value is equal to a fixed value 899.

You can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/norm-dist-dax to learn NORM.DIST() function.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As @sturlaws  said, we may need the formulas of [Percentage of respondents by sector] and [Percentage in population by sector] to research the problem.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @Anonymous 

I assume [Percentage of respondents by sector] and [Percentage in population by sector] are measures. Could provide a screeen shot of a table visual with the sectors on the rows, with the measures and the norm distribution as values?

What are you do want to achieve with the ALLSELECTED-statement? The ALLSELECTED is a tricky function, and sometimes yields unexpected results.

Cheers,
Sturla

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey @sturlaws ,

thanks for the response and your help, the [Percentage of...] are measures and yes I am using an ALLSELECTED(). I have posted the formulas and table below

Percentage of respondents = DIVIDE(
[Number respondents],
CALCULATE(
[Number respondents],
ALLSELECTED('sample data')))

Percentage of total Population = divide([Number in Population],CALCULATE([Number in Population],ALLSELECTED('Population Data')))

Number respondents = DISTINCTCOUNT('Sample data'[Response ID])

Number in Population = DISTINCTCOUNT('Population Data'[ID])

PBI screenshot.png

Sorry, really bad spelling on my behalf in my previous post. What I meant to ask was, why have you included ALLSELECTED in your measures?

I created a sample report, and I can't replicate the behaviour you are experiencing. Could you share your report, or create sample report where you reproduce the behaviour you are experiencing?

Cheers,
Sturla

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @sturlaws ,

I was using the ALLSELECT() to gain a dynamic percentage of total.

I've created a dummy replicar in the PBI file where I am still experiencing the same issue :(...  can't seem to figure out how to attach it to the thred though?

Thanks again!

Polly 

Adding files in this forum is a bit awkward, you have to upload the file to onedrive/dropbox/other and share the link here
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great.

If you don't have it already in your report, create a section-table/dimension, and change you measures to this:

Percentage of respondents =
DIVIDE (
    [Number respondents];
    CALCULATE ( [Number respondents]; ALL ( 'dimSector' ) )
)

And as @v-lionel-msft mentions, the value you are using for standard deviation does not make any sense. I can't really see how you should calculate the standard deviation the way you are trying to do. I am not that experienced in statistics, but is perhaps the chi-square test is more appropriate?

Cheers,
Sturla

Hi @Anonymous ,

First of all, your model relationship may be a bit problematic, it should be like this:

f7.PNG

Secondly, the results returned by your two percentage measures may have problems, please refer to the following formula:

Percent of respondents = 
VAR x = 
CALCULATE(
    ALLEXCEPT(
        'Sample',
        'Sample'[Sector]
    )
)
VAR y = 
CALCULATE(
    ALL('Sample')
)
RETURN
DIVIDE(
    x,
    y,
    BLANK()
)

Percent of total Population = 
VAR x = 
CALCULATE(
    ALLEXCEPT(
        'Population',
        'Population'[Sector]
    )
)
VAR y = 
CALCULATE(
    ALLSELECTED('Sample'[Sector])
)
RETURN
 DIVIDE(
    x,
    y,
    BLANK()
) 
Left_Tailed_Hypothesis = 
NORM.DIST(
    [Percent of respondents], 
    [Percent of total Population],
    TRUE()
)

f9.PNG

The value of COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED('Sample')) is too big, which is not suitable for Standard_dev parameters.
And its value is equal to a fixed value 899.

You can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/norm-dist-dax to learn NORM.DIST() function.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.