Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

evantse
Frequent Visitor

Breaking data model up

Hey all,

I have a pretty niche issue where the data being capture is not fit for Power BI reporting purposes.

Currently, we are capturing procurement activities and three separate types of value that they are adding over time. This is captured in a table like:

ActivityStart dateValue addValue add monthsCost savingCost saving months
Procurement 11/01/201912,0001200
Procurement 21/02/201910,0001010,00010
Procurement 31/03/20190036,00036
Procurement 41/04/201920,0001020,00010
Procurement 51/05/201915,0001500

We are looking to create reports based on the amount of value being recognised per month, per project like the following:

Value Add

Activity01-1902-1903-1904-1905-19
Procurement 11,0001,0001,0001,0001,000
Procurement 201,0001,0001,0001,000
Procurement 300000
Procurement 40002,0002,000
Procurement 500001,000

This table is required so that we are able to report on financial benefits procurement activities per financial year.

I am at a loss at to how to convert the first table into the second one. The main issue I am facing is that I need to create the second table so that it covers the life of the activity and also for future activities.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@evantse solution is attached, most of the work is done in power query

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@evantse this can be done, how big is the dataset?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Wow thanks for such a quick response @parry2k !

I don't quite know how to answer how big the data set is. I have attached a sample export of the datasource that we are importing from SharePoint, hopefully that helps.

image.png

There is roughly 80 rows from 6months of usage.

@evantse solution is attached, most of the work is done in power query

@parry2k  Amazing solution thanks!

I've tweaked it a bit further to break down the other columns using your concept as a basis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.