Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BK1234
Helper I
Helper I

Border in matrix visual not visible in PowerBI.com

In Power BI desktop I have set an orange line in a matrix visual with option Visual - Grid - Border. It's visible in desktop but when I publish to .com it's not visible. How can I get it visible in .com?

BK1234_0-1651217595924.png

This is how it looks in desktop:

BK1234_1-1651217738414.png

This is how it looks in .com:

BK1234_2-1651217998530.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @BK1234 

The option Visual - Grid - Border only decides its global color and width. It doesn't decide the border position. Please refer to the following options under Column headers and Row headers to check whether the border positions are selected correctly in the service. 

The left is the format pane in service and the right is New format pane in Desktop. 

vjingzhang_1-1651735337990.png

vjingzhang_2-1651735802549.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

Hi @BK1234 

Click Edit to enter editing mode and check that options in Format pane. You can also change the format in the service and save report from File > Save. 

vjingzhang_0-1651822409898.png

Jing

Hi @v-jingzhang,

I tried using the old format pane by checking out the preview feature. Closing and opening desktop and published the report but the line is still gone. 

Then I opened the report again in the service. Added the lines and then downloaded the pbix from PowerBI.com (while the lines where visible). I opened the downloaded file in desktop and published the report again. Now the lines are visible. So now I have a pbix-file which has the lines visible in .com and in desktop. It's a workaround but it prevents me from checking the checkboxes in the service, everytime I publish the report again.

Thanks again for all your help!

Betty

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BK1234 , Just clear, Browser cache -> refresh and try again

Republish -> Browser cache -> refresh and try again 

If these do not work, check if any user recently reported any issue - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

@amitchandak Thank you for your reply.

I tried deleting cache multiple times. Before/after publishing but it didn't work. Also tried Firefox instead of Chrome but the result is the same. There is an issue maybe relating to this, so I added my comment there: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Banded-Rows-on-Matrix-Visualisation-not-working-correctly-on...

Hi @BK1234 

The option Visual - Grid - Border only decides its global color and width. It doesn't decide the border position. Please refer to the following options under Column headers and Row headers to check whether the border positions are selected correctly in the service. 

The left is the format pane in service and the right is New format pane in Desktop. 

vjingzhang_1-1651735337990.png

vjingzhang_2-1651735802549.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Hi v-jingzhang,

Thank you for your reply! I checked the options in desktop and they are allready set like you said but they are not visible in .com.

BK1234_0-1651820526666.png

BK1234_1-1651820561412.png

Hi @BK1234 

Click Edit to enter editing mode and check that options in Format pane. You can also change the format in the service and save report from File > Save. 

vjingzhang_0-1651822409898.png

Jing

Hi @v-jingzhang 

Ah, I didn't know that was even possible. But in the service the options were not checked. I checked them, saved and now the lines are visible in .com. Thank you!
I'm wondering: why is it that the options in the service are not the same as my desktop-options? Is it because we define the orange line in a .json-theme-file? Do we have to use a different command there, maybe? And if I publish a new version from desktop, do I have to change the options again in the service?

This was how the checkboxex were checked:

BK1234_0-1651836061631.png

BK1234_1-1651836123462.png

Hi @BK1234 

Not sure if this is a New Format pane issue. Today I downloaded the latest Desktop version (2.104.941.0 64-bit (April 2022)) and I found the Border option has been moved to under Grid option. Below image is captured from the new version. And by default the grid lines are not selected. 

vjingzhang_0-1652170639194.png

As the New Format Pane feature is still in preview and is not stable at present, you can try switching back to the old format pane and publish the report again to check the result. Go to File > Options and settings > Options > Preview features > uncheck New Format pane. Close Power BI Desktop and restart it again. Power BI Service also uses the old format pane so perhaps the problem will not occur. You could have a try!

vjingzhang_1-1652171020572.png

Jing

Hi @v-jingzhang,

I tried using the old format pane by checking out the preview feature. Closing and opening desktop and published the report but the line is still gone. 

Then I opened the report again in the service. Added the lines and then downloaded the pbix from PowerBI.com (while the lines where visible). I opened the downloaded file in desktop and published the report again. Now the lines are visible. So now I have a pbix-file which has the lines visible in .com and in desktop. It's a workaround but it prevents me from checking the checkboxes in the service, everytime I publish the report again.

Thanks again for all your help!

Betty

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.