Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

callum
Helper II
Helper II

Boolean slicer-like element?

Hi,

One column in my data is the type of payment for car parks, e.g. free, pay and display, etc.

I want to add a checkbox that will filter the data to only the free car parks, i.e. when it's checked then only the free car parks are shown, when it's unchecked then all are shown. How might I do this?

If I use a normal slicer element then it shows all the different types. Which obviously can have the effect of filtering only the free ones, but is a bit more bloated than it perhaps should be.

I have added another column with DAX to indicate whether it's free or not:

Free = IF([Type of car park] = "Free", TRUE(), FALSE())

but I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
shebr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @callum,

Have you considered using Bookmarks? With bookmarks you can create a filtered view of your data by the use of a 'button' and apply the filter using action tab. That way when you click the button you can filter the data. You may also need another button that goes back to the unfiltered view.

Here's a video that show how to use the bookmarks feature.

https://youtu.be/j-KP1G_c8PQ

BobbyTables
Frequent Visitor

Is there any official PowerBI Idea that would solve this? I would have at least half a dozen applications of this, so I would love to vote for an implementation of this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @callum

Did you solve your issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @callum

Given that your "Free" column works as intended, you just add it to a slicer-visual and use it as your please. 

Let me know if you need any help.

Best,

Martin

Thanks for the response. I maybe should have been more specific in my question. By applying the Free column to the slicer I still end up with two checkboxes, labelled true and false. What I'm after is just one single checkbox, labelled something like "Only show free car parks" for example. However if there is no way to do this then I suppose I'll have to make do with your suggestion.

@callum

In this scenario, since you need this "Free" to be a checkbox, I guess you will use this value for filtering/slicing data. However, unless you cascading filter a slicer, you can't remove values from a field populating into a slicer. So I suggest you just put [Type of car park] into a slicer for filtering data, and create a measure to show text like "Only show free car parks" in a Card.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid there isn't any other solution. Not that I know of, at least. 

Okay, that's unfortunate. Thanks for your help anyway!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.