Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBIfanatic
Helper V
Helper V

Bookmarks - selected visuals

Hi, Is there an order in which the selected visuals bookmarks should be created?

I have tried to associate 1 visual with the bookmark to make sure it doesnt impact the other visuals thats setup.

So that a user who has selected a visual doesnt loose that selection when he selects another visual.

Eg: visuals A B    C D

When user selects any visuals (using buttons) it shouldnt change all the visuals

Default view - A and C  (A&B are layered, likewise C&D)

User chooses  B - no issue (A is hidden beneath)

User chooses  D ---this shouldnt change A or B(whether A or B was selected) 

If user then selected A again,  D should be visible ( as this was the last selected visual)

I tried all options - Selected visuals, current page etc but no luck so far...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To independently toggle visuals each visual state (showing and hidden) needs a bookmark and a button for that bookmark.  So for three visuals you would need 6 bookmarks and 6 buttons.  For a given visual, both of its bookmarks must be set to "Selected visuals" and you must select only the visuals that you want to change the state of when updating the bookmark.  This will be the visual you are wanting to toggle AND both of the buttons used for toggling:

Independent Chart Toggling.gif

I have left the buttons seperated for clarity but in practice you would probably want to layer the show/hide buttons for given visual on top of each other to give the appearance of a single button.

Doe that help or have I misunderstood your requirement?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBIfanatic ,

Your query is not clear to me as there are no screesnhots on what you are trying to do.

There is an existing thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Bookmark-property-quot-Selected-Visuals-quot-vs-quot-All-Vi...

Also, try to provide a better explanation to what you are trying to achieve. Refer following article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi  , The question is whether we can manage 2 toggles independently? The selection on 1 shouldnt impact the other and vice versa. I have atleast 4 or 5 toggles.

Hi,

Has anyone used Selected visuals in Bookmarks, for multiple toggles?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi @PBIfanatic ,

If you are looking for creating toggle bookmarks in Power BI, to swicth between charts, then refer the following blog:

https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/toggle-chart-table-power-bi/

It's quite nice and I have used it before.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

thanks @Pragati11 

But  I am trying to have multiple toggles in the report. Changing one toggle shouldnt impact the other toggle.

You can do this and you are right to use the selected visuals option.  It's just really easy to mess it up so you have to be careful selecting the right visuals when updating the bookmarks. 

Creating groups in the selection pane helps a lot.

thanks @JWedge 

WOuld you be able to provide an example please?  I tried various options and it wouldnt work.  thanks in advance.

To independently toggle visuals each visual state (showing and hidden) needs a bookmark and a button for that bookmark.  So for three visuals you would need 6 bookmarks and 6 buttons.  For a given visual, both of its bookmarks must be set to "Selected visuals" and you must select only the visuals that you want to change the state of when updating the bookmark.  This will be the visual you are wanting to toggle AND both of the buttons used for toggling:

Independent Chart Toggling.gif

I have left the buttons seperated for clarity but in practice you would probably want to layer the show/hide buttons for given visual on top of each other to give the appearance of a single button.

Doe that help or have I misunderstood your requirement?

Hi ,
I have almost a similar requirement.
Requirement : When I select a button only the specific visual has to change (this one I can do with bookmarks)
I have 2 visual independently (and 2 on exactly on top of them)
I have four buttons , 2 on top of each visual
button1chart button2table
-------chart visual----
-------table visual---------
--------------------------
button3chart button4table
-----chart visual-----------------
------table visual----------------------
---------------------------
Now when I select button2table , the chart visual should change to table
After this when I select button4table , the chart visual should change to table (the first visual table should remain table)
after this , when I select button3chart , the visual should come back to chart (but still the first visual should remain as table).

It's like the visual should change independently.
how can I achieve this ?
please help
Note : I have tried bookmarks and selection panes
But the problem is when I bookmark button4table , I don't know the above visual is in which state and that state should not change

Thank you Much Appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.