cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccarpent Helper I
Helper I

Bookmarks NOT working on dashbaord

Hi

I seem to be having a problem with bookmark(s) I setup to toggle a menu or shape to apper or disappear - an example takem from Guys in a Cube.  

I have came across this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks#enable-the-bookmarks-preview-versions-pr..., but the version my work use must be an more up-to-date as I dont see any refrence to the artcile above - see screen print below.  Now the bookmarks work fine in the report view.mode, no problem, its just goes wrong when I publish a report to a dashboard view oddly.  The artcile does state that you can "View > Selection pane or View > Bookmarks pane", but for the life of me I can not see this.

Screen Print: Options in PowerBi Desktop:

bookmarks.PNGPreview Features PowerBI

Any pointers woud be great.

Chris

Finance & Contracts Information Analyst

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-joesh-msft Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: Bookmarks NOT working on dashbaord

Hi @ccarpent ,

Bookmark is a feature of reports, so you can't use it in a dashboard. You can come up with a new idea and add your comments there to make the feature you want coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ccarpent,

When you refer that you are publishing to a dashboard you are pinning a full page on a dashboard is that it?
Be aware that reports are different from dashboards.

A Power BI dashboard is a single page, often called a canvas, that uses visualizations to tell a story. Because it is limited to one page, a well-designed dashboard contains only the most-important elements of that story.

Check https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-dashboards

Being dashboards made up of visualization from a report not all functionalities work (example bookmarks or drill trough) because the purpose of dashboard is to give a quick snapshot of the information for details people dive into reports.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-reports

Be aware that depending on the way you setup some of these features some can work with limitations o dashboards.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

ccarpent Helper I
Helper I

MFelix

Thats great and a good point reference the dashboard telling a story; that does rings a bell from some early lessons.  And, yes I pinned the report to the dashbaord sorry. Thanks for the prompt response, along with link which I will take a look at.  The report does the job nicely but for future I will have a rethink as to why and how to use a dashboard.

Chris

v-joesh-msft Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @ccarpent ,

Bookmark is a feature of reports, so you can't use it in a dashboard. You can come up with a new idea and add your comments there to make the feature you want coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
ccarpent Helper I
Helper I

Hi v-joesh-msft

Many thanks, yes I will take a look at this.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors