Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Bookmark with slicers

Hi everyone,

I have a report page with several slicers. And I'm using bookmark to clear slicers. However, Ihave a date filter, which is controlled by cutom filter, so it will display selected period, like 1 month, from start of the year and etc. So, how bookmark will work with it? Will it always go back to date, when I created bookmark, or go to initial state?

Regards,

Yerkhan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Solved issue by applying bookmark to selected visuals, excluding date filter.

Regards,

Yerkhan

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @ysapiyev,

Depends on how you setup the initial state or if the slicer is within the bookmark, this as several forms to make it work.

If you put all your slicers cleared except the one with dates refering to first month and you make the bookmark it will make the updates to clear all and put date slicer in first month. You can also select all slicers except the one with dates and apply the bookmark to all selected visuals in this case when you select the bookmark the date will keep the user selection and clear all the others.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix

Thanks. Is there any way to update bookmark as scheduled process or something else? 

Currently, date slicers shows data for 3  months rom yesterday. So, when I click on bookmark, it goes to state, when bookmark was created. So, is it possible to clear it some other way?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,

When you say that your bookmark show information from 3 months for yesterday is all your report filtered to that or is is just the values that are selected in the slicer and people then can go back?

If it's all the report on the report visuals if you choose the advance date filter to get previous 3 months, should work.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix

3 month is default value. There is custom date filter and regular. Regular is used to select date input, custom to select date periods. So, user can select period, for example year, and select specific date through regular filter. 

So, when I use advanced filter, I can't go back then 3 months.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,

I have a dahsboard, that need to have last month always showing however I compare with AOP and Forecast that goes all the way until december, and getting the current month value for actuals based on slicer was always giving me 0 because there were no actuals on the maximum date (december)

I use a change on my actuals measures to look something like this:

Current Year = 
VAR Selected_Min_Date =
    MIN ( Dim_date[Date] )

// Select Mininum date of calendar to get year

VAR Select_Max_Month =
    MAX ( Dim_Date[Month] )

// Select Maximum date to check if it's until december

RETURN
    IF([Actuals] = 0; BLANK();IF (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Dim_Date[Month] ) = 12;
        CALCULATE (
            [Actuals];
            Dim_Date[Date]
                = DATE ( YEAR ( Selected_Min_Date ); IF(MONTH ( TODAY () ) = 1 ; 12 ; MONTH(TODAY())  - 1) ; 1 )

// choose the month before current month

);
        CALCULATE ( [Actuals] ; Dim_Date[Month] = Select_Max_Month)
    )) //otherwise give current monthn

Maybe you can use something similar to adjust your values to get the last 3 months.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix,

Thanks for your answer. 

However, I can't use your solution, since I use live onnection to SSAS.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,

In SSAS is possible to create new measures on the report.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix

Not in live connection.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi  @ysapiyev,

Yes it's possible to have the creation of measures in live connection check this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-analysis-services-tabular-data

If you go to the FAQ you have this question:

Question: If I created a live connection, can I edit the model or query in Power BI Desktop?

Answer: You can create report level measures in the Power BI Desktop, but all other query and modeling features are disabled when exploring live data.

You can have measures created but not making changes to your model.

On previous versions of PBI you had to go to the path below to activate the measures believe this is already active on the current version of PBI.

• File
  • Options & Settings
  • Options
  • DirectQuery
  • Check the: Allow unrestricted measures in DirectQuery mode

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix

Thanks. 

I've tried allowing unrestricted measures, but "new measure' option in "modelling' panel is still inactive. Is there other way to create measure?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Sorry for the obvious question but did you restart the PBI?

Is your model tabular or multidimensional?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@MFelix

It's ok. Yes, I restarted PBI Desktop.

I have multidimensional model.

Regards,

Yerkhan

@ysapiyev,

Do you want to update bookmark status automatically? If so, I am afraid that it is not possible. 

When you want to change initial status of a report page after clicking a bookmark, you would need to reset the slicer and update the bookmark manually.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your answer.

Whan about linking bookmark to visual with uploaded image? I wanted to combine two processes: bookmark to clear filters with string inputs and custom slicer to clear date filter. How it can be achieved?

Regards,

Yerkhan

@ysapiyev,

I am not sure about what you want to achieve by "custom slicer to clear date filter". But you can link bookmark to image. There is a video for your reference.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

I have 7 slicers with string input and 1 with date input. So, I have an issue when I use bookmark, date filter goes to date, when bookmark was created. I couldn't overcome this issue, so I wanted to use custom slicer to clear date filter. Therefore, I wanted to link bookmark to custom filter, however, I think tht is not possible.

Regards,

Yerkhan

@ysapiyev

Create serveral bookmarks for a single report page, hide different slicer in each bookmark, and then check if it gives expected result.

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Not sure how it will help me. The problem is only with date filter, other work fine.

Regards,

Yerkhan

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Solved issue by applying bookmark to selected visuals, excluding date filter.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Thank you for the solution. I am having same problem but I am not sure how to unselect date slicer and select rest of the visuals? So far, I have been clicking on All Visuals but now I tried doing selected visuals by selecting all the visuals(ctrl +A) and then unselecting date slicer. I am not sure if i got that right. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.