Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrankT
Advocate I
Advocate I

Bookmark property "Selected Visuals" vs "All Visuals"

"You can now change the bookmark through the bookmark’s menu to Selected visuals instead of All visuals, and it will only apply the bookmark to those visuals you selected." What does the latter mean? I cannot produce a use case.

Bookmark.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FrankT (and @RolandsP),

Now it works on my side too, but I think that more explanation is indeed needed how to configure these bookmarks. Note the following:

• Make sure you do not have a bookmark selected when creating a new one. Otherwise it will overwrite this bookmark with the new selected visuals. You can only deselect the bookmark by making an image visible/hidden.
  • After creating the bookmark with selected visuals, you cannot see which visuals are related to this bookmark. They are no longer marked in gray. 
  • In case of multiple toggle buttons you have at least four times a visual called 'image'. By switching on the Title, give it a suitable name and switch off the title, you can distinguish them (thanks @FrankT for this tip). 

You can see the configuration of the bookmarks on our blog and YouTube:

http://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.nl/2018/01/power-bi-bookmarking-feature-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cserABSnXzk

Kinds regards,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
ssssssssasha
Employee
Employee

Use Ctrl to select the visual be control by the bookmark. The rest of visuals not selected will remain the same when you click the bookmark.

ssssssssasha_0-1710151412237.png

RolandsP
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

I recommend watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPU8B-1BxjI starting 10:15.

It is well explained there with a clear use case.

@RolandsP

Thanks, of course I know this video.

Amanda has shown how to select some visuals, but (unfortunately or deliberately) not how to set up the bookmarks.

It's easy to produce a toggle, but for the time being I could not produce two toggles working independently.

For me "Selected Visuals" does not work and for the time being I don't know anybody who got this working.

What about you?

Hi @FrankT (and @RolandsP),

Now it works on my side too, but I think that more explanation is indeed needed how to configure these bookmarks. Note the following:

• Make sure you do not have a bookmark selected when creating a new one. Otherwise it will overwrite this bookmark with the new selected visuals. You can only deselect the bookmark by making an image visible/hidden.
  • After creating the bookmark with selected visuals, you cannot see which visuals are related to this bookmark. They are no longer marked in gray. 
  • In case of multiple toggle buttons you have at least four times a visual called 'image'. By switching on the Title, give it a suitable name and switch off the title, you can distinguish them (thanks @FrankT for this tip). 

You can see the configuration of the bookmarks on our blog and YouTube:

http://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.nl/2018/01/power-bi-bookmarking-feature-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cserABSnXzk

Kinds regards,

Ricardo

Hi @RicardoS

How many bookmarks  do you have in one page?Will it overwrite when click another bookmark?

@RicardoS  many thanks for You can only deselect the bookmark by making an image visible/hidden.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RicardoS,

In the YouTube video, @12:33, only visuals on the right are selected. How come after ticking Selected Visuals for left bookmarks, these bookmarks know only to control visuals on the left which were never selected?

Hi @Anonymous,

That's why I have made an own video for creating bookmarks, because I have had also struggles with this monthly Power BI update video. 

You can check my video here. Please let me know if you have it fixed now!

Kind regards,
Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also trying to achive the same functionality but some how the bookmark is getting replaced.

Tried creating object and navigating to different page after creating the bookmark but when i create another bookmark and apply to toggle buttion and try toggling the bookmark it is getting replaced.

I have already gone through your video but dont know i am stucked in between from long time and need to provide solution to client on urgent basis.

Regards,

Shraddha

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I noticed that the key to get it working is to make sure:

1. No bookmark is selected when you create one for toggle. You can do so by toggling any visual's visibility in Selection Pane.

2. The visuals that the new bookmark will control need to be selected right before you create the bookmark

Hi @Anonymous (and @Anonymous),

If you look closely, you can see this in the video: starting from here till 47 seconds. 

Otherwise, the bookmark will be grey marked if it was selected while you are creating a new bookmark. 

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RicardoS,

I have tried many a times but this is still getting replaced. I am making sure that the visual is not getting selected.

Is there any desktop version problem.

Hi @Anonymous,

Make sure you only select the visuals who are involved in the bookmark(s). Don't select any other visuals where the visiblity (hide or show) is not changing. 

If it still doesn't work, please explain the steps you are taking. Maybe this will clearify some things. 

Kind regards,
Ricardo

It seems to me that  we can have two bookmarks with differents Show/Hide visuals scheme only in "All Visuals" state but not with "Selected Visuals". Someway you loose the S/H Visuals Scheme when applying selected visuals.

bkoo
Frequent Visitor

A little tricky, but it works. Thanks.

@RicardoS

thanks a lot, only after watching your video it was clear to me what to do, i.e. selecting both, visible and invisible related items.

BTW, you can name any visual/image/form by giving it a title and switching the title off afterwards. It will stay named in the selection pane.

Kind regards

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frank,

Tried your workaround but its not helping me the bookmark gets replaced and its really frustrating.. I have deselecetd the bookmark by creatating new visual. but still its replacing the other bookmark, seriously need help on this its really making me go crazy.

I want have two toggle on the same page becuase of which i want to selected object functionality.

Oh wow, that trick of titling elements then switching off afterwards is exactly what the doctor ordered, I was driving myself nuts with long lists of same-named items. Great idea!!

@FrankT

Same problem here. I try to select the visuals I want for the specific bookmark, but once I apply it, it effects all the bookmarks in the page. Every bookmark has now the same selected visuals.

As you said before, Amanda is not showing how you get the right selected visuals for each bookmark. It is also not described well in the feature update text. 

Can someone help us?!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors