cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FrankT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Bookmark property "Selected Visuals" vs "All Visuals"

"You can now change the bookmark through the bookmark’s menu to Selected visuals instead of All visuals, and it will only apply the bookmark to those visuals you selected." What does the latter mean? I cannot produce a use case.

Bookmark.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RicardoS Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bookmark property "Selected Visuals" vs "All Visuals"

Hi @FrankT (and @RolandsP),

Now it works on my side too, but I think that more explanation is indeed needed how to configure these bookmarks. Note the following:

• Make sure you do not have a bookmark selected when creating a new one. Otherwise it will overwrite this bookmark with the new selected visuals. You can only deselect the bookmark by making an image visible/hidden.
  • After creating the bookmark with selected visuals, you cannot see which visuals are related to this bookmark. They are no longer marked in gray. 
  • In case of multiple toggle buttons you have at least four times a visual called 'image'. By switching on the Title, give it a suitable name and switch off the title, you can distinguish them (thanks @FrankT for this tip). 

You can see the configuration of the bookmarks on our blog and YouTube:

http://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.nl/2018/01/power-bi-bookmarking-feature-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cserABSnXzk

Kinds regards,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
RolandsP Member

I recommend watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPU8B-1BxjI starting 10:15.

It is well explained there with a clear use case.

FrankT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@RolandsP

Thanks, of course I know this video.

Amanda has shown how to select some visuals, but (unfortunately or deliberately) not how to set up the bookmarks.

It's easy to produce a toggle, but for the time being I could not produce two toggles working independently.

For me "Selected Visuals" does not work and for the time being I don't know anybody who got this working.

What about you?

Frequent Visitor

@FrankT

Same problem here. I try to select the visuals I want for the specific bookmark, but once I apply it, it effects all the bookmarks in the page. Every bookmark has now the same selected visuals.

As you said before, Amanda is not showing how you get the right selected visuals for each bookmark. It is also not described well in the feature update text. 

Can someone help us?!

Frequent Visitor

Hi @FrankT (and @RolandsP),

Now it works on my side too, but I think that more explanation is indeed needed how to configure these bookmarks. Note the following:

• Make sure you do not have a bookmark selected when creating a new one. Otherwise it will overwrite this bookmark with the new selected visuals. You can only deselect the bookmark by making an image visible/hidden.
  • After creating the bookmark with selected visuals, you cannot see which visuals are related to this bookmark. They are no longer marked in gray. 
  • In case of multiple toggle buttons you have at least four times a visual called 'image'. By switching on the Title, give it a suitable name and switch off the title, you can distinguish them (thanks @FrankT for this tip). 

You can see the configuration of the bookmarks on our blog and YouTube:

http://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.nl/2018/01/power-bi-bookmarking-feature-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cserABSnXzk

Kinds regards,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

FrankT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@RicardoS

thanks a lot, only after watching your video it was clear to me what to do, i.e. selecting both, visible and invisible related items.

BTW, you can name any visual/image/form by giving it a title and switching the title off afterwards. It will stay named in the selection pane.

Kind regards

Frank

bkoo Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A little tricky, but it works. Thanks.

SA_NYC Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Oh wow, that trick of titling elements then switching off afterwards is exactly what the doctor ordered, I was driving myself nuts with long lists of same-named items. Great idea!!

KeyData Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

It seems to me that  we can have two bookmarks with differents Show/Hide visuals scheme only in "All Visuals" state but not with "Selected Visuals". Someway you loose the S/H Visuals Scheme when applying selected visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frank,

Tried your workaround but its not helping me the bookmark gets replaced and its really frustrating.. I have deselecetd the bookmark by creatating new visual. but still its replacing the other bookmark, seriously need help on this its really making me go crazy.

I want have two toggle on the same page becuase of which i want to selected object functionality.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 62 members 1,064 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: