Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kimco
Frequent Visitor

Bookmark Navigator Bug?

When using Bookmark Navigator as an alternative to Page Navigator (since the latter does not offer the ability to select which pages and is all or nothing), when you navigate back and forth between pages/bookmarks, the navigator does not realize that the "selected" bookmark is different

To replicate:

1. Create a pbix with 3 pages 
  2. Create a bookmark for each page, and then a bookmark group
  3. Add a bookmark navigator to each of the 3 pages
  4. Use the bookmark navigator to move between pages a few times, and then select a page from the tabs at the bottom

The "selected" bookmark on the navigator remains whatever the last button clicked was, and does not recognize that the bookmark was navigated to by another method

The reason we are doing this this way is because we have a report with 8 hidden detail pages, and users need to be able to pick which page they "start" on from the main report page, but once on a hidden page should be able to navigate between the different options based on the bookmark navigator along the top, rather than having to go back to the main page and select a different hidden details page. The bookmark navigator works fine when navigating between the pages, but when we return to the main page and pick a detail page to jump to, the "selected" navigator button is incorrect, and indicates that they are on a different page (based on the label). Has anyone found a workaround? In the interim, I have the "selected" formatted the same as default, with a transparent background, and have a shape placed on each page

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kimco
Frequent Visitor

I found a solution...please disregard

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kimco
Frequent Visitor

I found a solution...please disregard

@kimco 

Hi there, I believe I have a similar problem. How were you able to solve this issue? 

kimco
Frequent Visitor

I had to make sure that the page I was clicking on matched the saved bookmark exactly. After making sure that the bookmarks were updated to match exactly, it was able to tell that everything was in the same state as the bookmark and it updated. A quick test is to have the bookmarks pane open and when you click on the page, see if the bookmark "highlights" as if you had clicked it there. If not, it may just need to be udpated.

Hope that works for you as well!

@kimco I have tried matching the page names with the bookmark names but the bookmark navigation buttons aren't chnging when the default page is selected. Could you eloborate more on what you mean by matching the saved bookmark with the page exactly?   maybe a pbix example would help.   Thanks for your help. 

So, it isn't the name of the bookmark and the name of the page that matters. It is the actual state of the content on the page when navigated to, and the content when the bookmark was created. When you look at an existing bookmark on the bookmarks pane you can choose to have the bookmark set to "Data/Display/Current page" as well as "All visuals/Selected visuals". The state of each of these items in the bookmark would have to match the state of the items on the page when you navigate to it by clicking on the page name instead of using a bookmark link. 

So, for example, if you have a page with just a table and a slicer (and the bookmark navigator of course):

1. Set the slicer to ALL, create the bookmark, and add it to the navigator. 

2. Change the slicer to select an item. You no longer "match" the bookmark, but the navigator still shows it highlighted because that's the last bookmark it "remembers"

3. Use the navigator to go to another bookmark, then use it again to return

4. Your slicer should have reverted to ALL because that's what the bookmark was set to

5. Change the slicer to select an item again, and once again use the navigator to go to a different bookmark

6. This time, click on the page name to return to the example. The navigator will still show the "other" bookmark selected because the slicer doesn't match what you saved in the bookmark. Since they don't match "exactly" it doesn't register that it has hit a bookmark and so it retains the last "remembered" bookmark it was used for

You'd have to select the table and NOT the slicer, then update the bookmark to selected visuals only, then when you navigate to the page, only the table state would be compared to the bookmark. This may be true for sorting of the columns as well (I've not looked that deeply into it)

I hope this helps, and good luck!

@kimco Thanks a lot for your detailed description. 

Hi @kimco 

Thank you for you reply. 

Reading your solution, I might be struggling with a slightly different problem. Would you mind looking at my post here and confirming if it is the exact same problem?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Bookmark-navigator-black-background-showing-wrong-selection...

Thank you for your help.

Please disregard, this is a bug

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you want bookmarks to wok on a single page?
Can you share a sample PBIX file?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.