Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blank when trying to show only data up to the end of last month

Hi guys,

I'm trying to show a graph with the actuals of 2020 (so, so far it's only Jan, Feb 2020), the budget (2020) and Same period last year (2019). 

Everything is coming through fine but I have March 2020 showing too (because it's been a few days of March).

I tried to use this formula - it's worked for another dataset but it doesn't work for this one and I can't think of why this is happening besides the fact that maybe the dataset it worked on had it by days (i.e 1 Jan 2020, 2 Jan 2020, 3 Jan 2020, etc.) and this dataset that i'm trying to work on only has it by Jan 2020, Feb 2020 (Periods and not dates). 

Test = IF ( MAX('Calendar Table'[Date]) <= MAX ( Premium[Date] ) , SUM(PL_Premium[GWP] ), BLANK() ) 

I created a calculated column for Premium[Date]:
Date = DATE( LEFT(PL_Premium[Period],4) , RIGHT(PL_Premium[Period],2) , 01 )
where Period = 201901, 201902, 201903, etc. 

It just comes up as blank when I used that formula - any idea why? 
5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Here's what i would do.

1. Convert the period column to the first date of the month
  2. Create a Calendar Table and extract Year and Month via the following calculated column formulas: Year = Year(Calendar[Date), Month Name = FORMAT(Calendar[Date],"mmmm"), Month number = MONTH(Calendar[Date]).  Sort the Month Name column by the Month number column
  3. Create a relationship from the Date column of the PL_premium Table to the Date column of the Calendar Table
  4. To your visual, drag the Year and Month from the Calendar Table
  5. Write these measures

Premium collected = SUM(PL_Premium[GWP])

Premium collected YTD = CALCULATE([Premium collected],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar[Date],DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),1,1),EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1)))

Premium collected same period last year YTD = CALCULATE([Premium collected],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar[Date],DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,1,1),EDATE(EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1),-12))

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response @Ashish_Mathur , 

I've followed the steps - I've already done steps 1 - 4 essentially (see response to v-lionel)

I tried your formula but it's still giving me March figures (Since some March transactions have happened already). I'm only wanting Jan - Feb and I'm pretty sure the formula is working because it worked for another dataset with contiguous dates, but PL_Premium is using Period (202003, 202002, etc) which I think might be the issue? Have you had this issue before. Formula below: 

Test = IF ( MAX('Calendar Table'[Date]) <= max( PL_Premium[Date] ) , SUM(PL_Premium[GWP]), BLANK() ) 

Hi,

I can help further only when i get the PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The calculated column [Date] can work well.

y2.PNG

Errors in this [Test] measure may have the following reasons:

1. Data model error.

Try to create relationship between Premium table and Calendar Table.

y3.PNG

2. Visualization errors

You may need to add [date] of Calendar Table to the visual.

3. Formula errors.

Please give me a sample data model of Premium table, 'Calendar Table', PL_Premium table.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lionel-msft ,

Thanks for your response.

1. I have linked the two together already via relationships. 
Relationship - Premium, Date.PNG

2. I used 

Month = FORMAT('Calendar Table'[Date],"MMM-YY") as my shared axis on my graph. 

3. I've given the formulae in the initial post - this formula isn't linking to anything else. 

How do I give a sample set of data? 

Apologies - when I say Premium Table in my first post, it was PL_Premium but I thought I'd simplify the table so it was easier to read. 

Premium Table essentially looks like this (the 3 main columns I'm using for this formula): 

ProductPeriodPremium
X2020031,000
X202003400
Y202001500
Z201912300
Z201911100

With the calculated column (Date = DATE( LEFT(PL_Premium[Period],4) , RIGHT(PL_Premium[Period],2) , 1 )) which is what the calendar table date is linking to in the relationships. 

and for the Calendar Table:

Calendar Table = CALENDAR(DATE (2018,01,01), DATE(2020,12,31))

Also, do you think it could be because it's direct query? I don't think so, but I have a lot of datasets in this report and I don't want to change it from DQ to Import just to try it. 

I think it's because it's working off a period (202003) instead of an actual date (2020/03/01) for example, and since the current date column is a calculated column noted above, that might be the issue?! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.