Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mork
Helper V
Helper V

Blank values in slicers

I have a report with a few slicers on it. The slicers were showing just my table values up until recently. I have two tables that I use to construct visualizations etc. Today I duplicated these two tables and change the names of the duplicates. I did that in order to test some transformations and implement some more data. Immediately after duplicating the tables a blank value appeared in all my existing slicers. the tables have no blank values in them. NONE. Not even the duplicated have blank values. The slicers are exactly the same and no other setting is changed except that I placed the two duplicate tables in a separate group in data view.

I figured I will just have to filter the blank values out. But trying to apply a filter in the report leve filters section there is no blank values to cross out. only the values of my tables. Yet the blank values are still there in the slicers. What should I try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I know there are NO Blanks in your data it used to happen to me only with Slicers.

I wonder if they fixed this because I don't encounter this issue anymore

Are you using => PBI February 2016 version? It seems it doesn't happen anymore

Anyway Select the field you want to use for the Slicer but create a Table first

Then go to Visual Level Filters and Select is not blank

Then convert this visual to Slicer

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
RalstonT
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

While this may remove the blank option from the filter, it does not keep the date that is assocaited with that filter.  I have data that has all the appropriate information, but still shows as blank.  If I page level filter out blanks this information disappears because it recognizes as blank for some reason.

kv
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ok found a workaround using a page level filter. But still a bit concerned why the Blank is showing up in the first place

The Page level filter workaround does work, OP should mark as a solution

kv
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ok this is a bug and needs resolved asap. Is there a way around filtering that blank out????

Ironically it only appears on new visualizations being created. Existing ones don't display the buggy (Blank) value

nisuomi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, I am wondering why this workaround does not work for me at all 😕 ?

That trick don't work anymore... it changed a few months ago

I also have the same issue but I tried to put "field" in the "Page Level filters" and un-select the "(Blank)". 

"(Blank)" in the visual slicer suddenly dissappeared.

I hope this trick works well for you

2017 08 25 - Page Level Filters.png

Still got this error. I can override it with page selection filter, but this is stil UNSOLVED error 😞

What if next year we god new data, but forget to check this selection? Eg. in year 2016 and 2017 we had slicer which uncheck (BLANK) on report level by checking year 2017 and 2017,  but in new year 2018 there will no be data from 2018 (because it's not checked in report level)? Report will be incorrect !!!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean I've already seen that but as I said there is no blank value to exclude even in the filters. I tried that already....

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I know there are NO Blanks in your data it used to happen to me only with Slicers.

I wonder if they fixed this because I don't encounter this issue anymore

Are you using => PBI February 2016 version? It seems it doesn't happen anymore

Anyway Select the field you want to use for the Slicer but create a Table first

Then go to Visual Level Filters and Select is not blank

Then convert this visual to Slicer

doesn't work.

This solution is now out of date. It's a shame there's no way to override the 'Solved' post since it no longer is appropaite.

This solution is working for me.

Excellent trick!!

You are correct that did the trick. I was trying to uncheck the blank values from the basic filtering and didn't think to try advanced filtering and choose "is not blank". Thanks a lot!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.