Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinN
Frequent Visitor

Blank values in matrix (usage TopN slicer)

I have a table named 'IT Help Desk' with a column 'TicketID'. There is also a column named 'ITOwnerID' for the people who solves the 'TicketID's'. Those IT owner's can manage multiple tickets. As last there's a column with TicketType. I'm using a matrix with as Rows the ITOwnerID's and the Columns the TicketType for example 'Issue' and 'Request'.

I also have a table, see it as a dimension for the ITOwners but there's also a extra row named "Others". I work with a TopN and "Others" so when I select top 5 in my slicer I have the count of tickets for my top 5 but I also want the sum of the tickets for my "Others". In the code below you can see the total of tickets for the "Others" group. The problem is that when I use this measure in my matrix in the 'Values' field and i change my slicer from top 3 to top 5, sometimes I have blank values in my 'TicketType' when there's supposed to be values.

Table 'IT Help Desk'

IT Help Desk.PNG

Table 'Owners'

Owners.PNG

Relationship

Relationship.PNG

TopNWithOthers = IF(
    RANKX(ALL('Owners'[ITOwnerID]); CALCULATE(COUNT('IT Help Desk'[TicketID]))) <= SELECTEDVALUE('TopN'[TopN]);
    CALCULATE(COUNT('IT Help Desk'[TicketID]));
    IF(
        HASONEVALUE(Owners[ITOwnerID]);
        IF(
            VALUES(Owners[ITOwnerID]) = "Others";
            SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Owners[ITOwnerID]); RANKX(ALL('Owners'[ITOwnerID]); CALCULATE(COUNT('IT Help Desk'[TicketID]))) > SELECTEDVALUE('TopN'[TopN])); CALCULATE(COUNT('IT Help Desk'[TicketID])))
        )
    )
)

Example 1 (Top 4)

Example 1.PNG

Example 2 (Top 6)

Example 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KevinN

It seems the issue with the rank measure as below picture. In matrix visual the rank values are not less than the selected value. Please check if below rank measure could help you.

Rank =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Owners'[ITOwnerID] ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNT ( 'IT Help Desk'[TicketID] ) )
    ),
    ALL ( 'IT Help Desk'[TicketType] )
)

2.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KevinN

It seems you may check the relationships. Sample data and expected output will be helpful to provide an accurate solution. You can upload the pbix file to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and yes, I also think it's better to provide the Power BI file.

Is it good for you if I share the file via We Transfer, here is the link to it: https://we.tl/t-WihQ5HHWMX

It's sample data, so not real data that I use to boost my skills.

I guess the problem has to do with the measure I use named 'TopNWithOthers' or the relationship. I don't know.

Kind regards

Hi @KevinN

It seems the issue with the rank measure as below picture. In matrix visual the rank values are not less than the selected value. Please check if below rank measure could help you.

Rank =
CALCULATE (
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Owners'[ITOwnerID] ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNT ( 'IT Help Desk'[TicketID] ) )
    ),
    ALL ( 'IT Help Desk'[TicketType] )
)

2.png

Regards,

Cherie

Thank you very much for this answer. It works perfectly.

It was just that little line of code that was missing where I take all the tickettypes into account

Kind regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.