Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rawiswarden
Helper I
Helper I

Blank Row with the Total's Result

Hello,

I am creating some moving averages using parameters after recieving some guidance here (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Rolling-Average-of-Measure/td-p/881963). 

The problem I am having now is that there is a calculation that appears at the top of the table.  I'm assuming I've made a rookie mistake, but I haven't had luck finding the terms to describe this in my Google search.

image.png

The calculation is below:

APR (Moving Avg) = CALCULATE([APR (Avg)],DATESBETWEEN(Calendar_Dates[Date],eomonth(MIN(Calendar_Dates[Date]),-'MA Length'[MA Length Value])+1,MAX(Calendar_Dates[Date])),userelationship(Facts_Originations[PortStats.BookedDate], Calendar_Dates[Date]))

For each of these similar calculations, I get a blank row at the top ofthe table with the total's calculation.  Is this a common error or is this a bug in the way I've structured my data model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rawiswarden 

as a monthyear you are using not date field, but any other attribute (maybe calculated). are you sure it not null everywhere?

use "Data" mode to check (left pane - reports/data/relationships)

423132.png

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rawiswarden 

As tested with information from your two threads, i can't reproduce your problem.

To get proper visual without a blank row, you could edit the visual level filter as below

Capture1.JPG

Also make sure you add "month year' or any "date" columns from "calendar" table to the visuals.

To get a close look at your problem, you could delete the privacy information form the pbix and share it here.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello!

Suddenly this issue fixed itself.  Perhaps I wasn't using the most recently refreshed dataflow or something.  But the null date must be the issue, so I accepted that answer.

Thanks!!

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rawiswarden 

it looks like either PortStats.BookedDate or Calendar_Dates[Date] has a null value or value out of range MonthYear column.

check it. try to remove null values from these columns using Power Query Editor Mode

LinkedIn

Hello @az38 

I have removed any empty BookedDates with Power Query.  Is there a way to verify there are no nulls in that column?  I have checked and it doesn't look like it.  The issue is still occuring.  Calendar_Dates is generated via this, so I do not believe any nulls exist: CALENDAR (min(Dimension_PortStats[BookedDate]), MAX(Dimension_PortStats[BookedDate])),

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rawiswarden 

as a monthyear you are using not date field, but any other attribute (maybe calculated). are you sure it not null everywhere?

use "Data" mode to check (left pane - reports/data/relationships)

423132.png

LinkedIn

@az38 

Hello, I do not see any nulls.  Just to be sure, I went to the dataflow and changed the SQL query to not import any data where BookedDate is null, since I do know there are two or three nulls there from when I posted my first example.

The issue happens regardless of whether I use a date column or the month-year column.  Is there any other common cause I can look for?

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rawiswarden 

what statement defines your 

APR (Avg)

column?

you also could share your pbix-file to look closely

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.