Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hettinger14

Black screen, power bi desktop won't launch

I have uninstalled and re-installed, cleaned my registery, cleaned my appdata folders of all power bi files and i still can't run the desktop client. I'm not sure what broke it but no matter what i just get to this screen and nothing is clickable (including the window itself, it's acting like there's a popup). For some reason you can't paste images here but everything's black and all i can see is a very fuzy "Sign In" in the top right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hettinger14

I figured out the issue and a workaround! The issue happens on windows 10 when you have multiple screens set at different DPI scales. My main laptop has a 4k screen set at 150% and my other two monitors are 1080p at 100%. If i use powerbi undocked (where my laptop screen is my main) it works fine. If i log out of windows, re-dock (1080p monitor is my main screen now) and log back in to windows powerBI doesn't display. To get it to work i have to drag it to my laptop screen or undock and re-dock while logged in.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
sfeider

Right Click on Power BI Desktop x64 and left click on Troubleshoot Compatibility. 

Use recommended settings applied to PBIDesktop:  - Windows compatibility mode: Windows 8 or 8.1  Then Test.

This resolved my issues. 

Hi sfeider,

your answer's / steps solved my issue! Great.

brfassbinder

I ran into this issue with a 2 monitor setup.  I switched the main monitor to be the laptop screen, opened the app and it displayed fine.  Then I unchecked Show This Screen on Startup.  Then switched the secondary monitor as the main display.  Relaunched the Power BI app and all is good.

khayden

I'm having a similar issue when using my laptop without it being docked. Works fine when it's in the dock in work but can't be used from home.

Black screen except a bit of white in the bottom right hand corner, can't see anything. Any ideas?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @khayden,

Had the same issue when undocking laptop from work and openning up Power BI at home on laptop screen.

The way i resolved:

1. Plug HDMI into laptop and TV and you will see the display of Power BI 

2. Un-Plug HDMI from laptop and you will now see the Power BI Display as expected 🙂

This worked for me and hope it does for you.

Thanks,

Laz

No such luck, thanks though

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry cant be any more help 😞

Does the PowerBI team have a solution to this?  It makes PBI almost unusable as I can't even open PowerBI in my standard extended monitor setup unless I want to undock, predict which dashboards I might want to work on in the next hour or so, open all of them...then redock for them to eventually appear on the extended monitors.  And after a period of time has passed, that trick won't even work anymore and the only solution is to reboot the entire system and restart the process to trick PowerBI into working.

khayden

I'm having a similar issue when using my laptop without it being docked. Works fine when it's in the dock in work but can't be used from home.

Black screen except a bit of white in the bottom right hand corner, can't see anything. Any ideas?

Thanks

Voyager
Frequent Visitor

The below solution is not a solution, does anyone have a solution to this issue? It is majorly effecting my productivity.

I have this same problem. Using multiple screens in the office yesterday everything was fine. Working from home today - laptop only - no extra screens - the Report View is black I can't even see the page tabs at the bottom. Strangely, the Data and Relationships views are OK. Is there a solution other than waiting until I am back in the office?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Have you found a soltuion for this?

Having the same issue!

Hey,

I just opened the report next day and it was running fine. Still having the issue?

I just experienced the same issue.

tmrrow
Frequent Visitor

I wouldn't call this a solution. 

hettinger14

I figured out the issue and a workaround! The issue happens on windows 10 when you have multiple screens set at different DPI scales. My main laptop has a 4k screen set at 150% and my other two monitors are 1080p at 100%. If i use powerbi undocked (where my laptop screen is my main) it works fine. If i log out of windows, re-dock (1080p monitor is my main screen now) and log back in to windows powerBI doesn't display. To get it to work i have to drag it to my laptop screen or undock and re-dock while logged in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors