Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bizzare Data source credentials issue

Hi,

I have attempted to connect to an Excel file on Onedrive using the recommended "Web" option. As usually, it failed on the first time as I wasn't sure which one to choose. Since then, I have lost the privilige to change the credential. I have tried to clear or edit permission in the data source. But sarcastically, it doesn't even appear in the data source list, not in the local and not in the global. So I am really stuck - need to clear permission but no item to clear however the credential does get stored but just hidden. Please make Power BI a more sensible product to use.

6 REPLIES 6
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can click "Edit Query" option in the home navigation bar to open the data source settings.

6-1.PNG

Then you could edit/remove your permissions in current file or global desktop.

6-2.PNG

If you think this option is too hidden, you could post an idea here to improve Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it's not the option is hidden. I have no difficulty finding it. It's the file not shown in the data source list but the credential has already been cached. So you see the dilemma. You can't clear permission because it's not recognised as a "data source" but it does get cached. I have even tried "clear all permission" but it simple removed existing one not the hidden one. What can I do? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean that you could't find the data source you have configured in these two lists?

1-1.PNG

You could try to re-install Power BI and check if this problem will happen.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Any solution to this? I too am facing the same issue. I tried to hit a web data source, and failed after entering my credentials. If you click EDIT, you can edit ONLY the web URL, and NOT the credentials. 

There are no entries in Data Source Settings, either Global or Current File. 

I have tried signing out of Power BI Desktop, re-launching the tool. Nothing.

This is a BUG, pure and simple.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, no solution and yes, it's a bug, 100%.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the first attempt failed due to some wrong selection and that's probably why it didn't make the list. But it didn't stop the credentials being cached. Never mind, I have reverted to SQL server to store the tiny dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.