Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

misul
Helper I
Helper I

Binning data and Distinct Count error

Hello,

I would appreciate any general guidance/info on this topic.

I have a simple sales table and I am trying to group (bin) all products into categories of <15, 15-100 and >100. 

To categorise each product into a bucket, I created a measure.  Bucket = if(sum(Table1[Sales])<15,"<15",if(sum(Table1[Sales])>100,"more than 100","15-100"))

To be able to use this measure on a map, I put it in a calculated column.

BucketName = CALCULATE([Bucket]) 

However, when I filter by year, the bucket (measure) doesn't change as it should. Does anyone know how PowerBI works in this situation?

Here is all the data and PowerBI charts:

Capture646.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @misul

Why not add a calculated column to your table like this

Bucket = 
    SWITCH(
        TRUE() ,
        'Table1'[Sales] < 15 , "< 15" ,
        'Table1'[Sales] > 100 , "More than 100" ,
        "15-100"
        )

image.png

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

hi @Phil_Seamark

thanks for your comment. However, I am looking for count of Product, not count of Sales. In other words, trying to answer the question "Which are the products that had total sales of <15 in this year?" For 2016, the answer should be 3 products.

I applied your Switch formula ,but it doesn't solve this. 

Captured.JPG

Some further info: 

The final goal is apply the same buckets on a global as well as regional level. This means, in my understanding, that the bucket applied to each row should be applied  AFTER the filters are year/region are implented.

That's why I tried to use a measure rather than a calculated column. Or perhpas a combination of the two (which I haven't figured out yet).

Capturdde.JPG

For reference : 

This issue was solved in another post. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamic-Segmentation-with-duplicate-rows/m-p/379859

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.