Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bing News Solution Template - Azure SQL Connection issue

Hi all,

I have just gone through all of the steps to set up the Bings News Solution template and was very excited to try it out. I completed everything and downloaded the PowerBI Report and follow the instructions on the front page to Edit my Credentials in the Database tab.

I used the credentials I entered during setup (I redid the process to make sure no typos in the Pword or something).
But I constantly run into this error:

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.)
Details:
 (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.)

I'm not sure how to ensure that the SQL Server is set up for remote connections but since it was created automatically as part of the solution template set up, I assume that was enabled. Everything I have done so far I have done according to the set up instructions.

In addition I have checked my IP Address has access via the Azure server firewall and it does.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue, I was really looking forward to the news template 😕

Cheers,

Will

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Update your Power BI desktop to latest version for a test. Are you able to connect to Azure SQL DB in a new .pbix file or in Excel?

Here are some links sharing suggestions of troubleshooting such an error:

Resolving could not open a connection to SQL Server errors

SQL Connection error - Named Pipes

Exceptions connecting to SQL Azure: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server"

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for your response.

I am using the latest version of PowerBI, as far as I can tell the Azure SQL DB is configured correctly but I have been unsuccesful in connecting to it from any application. PowerBI, Excel, Visual Studio. They all return the same error as above, which appears to be a timeout error.

Thanks,

Will

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.