Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulPed4
Helper II
Helper II

Bing Maps not plotting VI or PR correctly

I have a dataset where I have locations in Puerto Rico (PR) and US Virgin Islands (USVI).

When I categorise these as states and have the United States as a preceding country hierachy measure, it plots PR in Brazil and USVI or United States Virgin Islands in the Meditterranean...

How do I rectify this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Cherry,

Your reply is exactly what I am looking to achieve and yes it is in the main Bing Maps for PowerBI visualization, haven't tried the others.

I was able to get it resolved by adding an additional column which concatenated country and US state first and then hard coded PR an USVI with their full names. I then changed the column type to Place and that resolved it (researched and found this in another community post). Not a good workaround though especially for those wanting to deal with global data...

Thanks,

Paul

View solution in original post

Hi @PaulPed4,

Yes, I create the map visual with changing the column to Place then it will show as the map in my first reply.

While we encourage you to use geo-hierarchies in your maps, if you must use a single location column with full geographical information, you can set the data categorization to Place. For example, if the data in your column is full addresses, such as 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond Washington 98052, this generalized data category will work best with Bing.

As the tips has mentioned, sometimes, even setting the data categories for mapping isn't enough for Bing to correctly guess your intent. Some designations are ambiguous because the location exists in multiple countries or regions. So add additional geo columns to make the location unambiguous to help bing to find the accurate positioning.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @PaulPed4,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? Please check if you have installed the latest version 2.65.5313.701 64-bit (December 2018)?

In addition, what map visualization do you use when you have this issue? All Bing maps in Power BI?

Do you want to get the result below?

correct map.PNG

If It is convenient, please share some data sample which could reproduce your scenario and your desired output so that we could help further on it.

For referece, here are some tips for us to get the more accurate position on the bing map visual.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Your reply is exactly what I am looking to achieve and yes it is in the main Bing Maps for PowerBI visualization, haven't tried the others.

I was able to get it resolved by adding an additional column which concatenated country and US state first and then hard coded PR an USVI with their full names. I then changed the column type to Place and that resolved it (researched and found this in another community post). Not a good workaround though especially for those wanting to deal with global data...

Thanks,

Paul

What is the full name for USVI? 

Hi @PaulPed4,

Yes, I create the map visual with changing the column to Place then it will show as the map in my first reply.

While we encourage you to use geo-hierarchies in your maps, if you must use a single location column with full geographical information, you can set the data categorization to Place. For example, if the data in your column is full addresses, such as 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond Washington 98052, this generalized data category will work best with Bing.

As the tips has mentioned, sometimes, even setting the data categories for mapping isn't enough for Bing to correctly guess your intent. Some designations are ambiguous because the location exists in multiple countries or regions. So add additional geo columns to make the location unambiguous to help bing to find the accurate positioning.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.