Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yiannis
Frequent Visitor

Binding Database schema to report

Hello,

I am using a multi tenant azure database and I have created one report that i would like to share with more than one person. I have created a parameter to change the schema of the database and it works fine. I want to share this report with users but i want each user to see report based on a different database schema. 

I have created a table with users two columns (email, schema) expecting to bind schema to username. But i got stucked and I cannot go on. 

Can you help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@yiannis 

Try RLS, the idea is create RLS roles with schema = "xxxx", then assign users to different role on Power BI Service in the dataset security option.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have tried RLS but i cannot change the schema parameter. I have created a parameter called [Schema] and I have placed it at the query. 

yiannis_0-1611124365452.png

I have also created a table with email and schema columns in order to use the Username() and create the role accordingly. 

i got stucked after as i dont know how to bind the schema with the username(). I have to mention here that the queries i get data does not have a field with email in order to bind them. So the only way i can figure out is to open a dialog to the user asking his email and then do the binding afterwards. Still i don't know how to do it

Hi yiannis

Did you ever solve this? I'm in the exact same sitation.

Thanks

ARP

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@yiannis , You can a parameterized connection. But I doubt you can do that with help from RLS

https://radacad.com/change-the-source-of-power-bi-datasets-dynamically-using-power-query-parameters

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors