Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bind dynamic status to map visual

Hello, Power BI forum! Here's an interesting question for everyone.

I have a map visual that shows a number of sites scheduled for constuction projects. Each of these sites has a start date and a completion date. Each site will therefore have a status of either "Not started", "On site" or "Completed".

I would like the colour of the pin to reflect the different statuses, e.g. grey for not started, etc.

So far, it's straightforward, HOWEVER... my customer's requirement is to be able to use a date slicer to select any date on the programme, and have the map update to show which sites are "not started", "on site" and "completed" as per the selected date. This means that the colour of the pin needs to change dynamically based on the date selected using the slicer.

This has got me stumped! I can create a calculated measure which will reference the date field and return the correct status label, but this calculated measure cannot be bound to the 'legend' of the map visual. AFAIK only fields (columns) can be bound to the 'legend', and the contents of a column cannot be changed dynamically by filter context.

So - what's the best way to tackle this? I'm very keen to see what people come up with!

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Instead, you may drag measure to Color saturation.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-Treemap/td-p/186854

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a solution. 'Status' is a text field, it cannot be applied to colour saturation.

We also want the status to appear alongside the property name in a table. This is actually more troublesome because the expression needs to evaluate property ID with row context (i.e. what is the start date and end date associated with this row?).

I don't think it can be done, but I'm eager to be proven wrong.

@Anonymous,

You may just add another measure that returns -1, 0 and 1, drag your original measure to Tooltips.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi! I was facing the same issue and this worked perfectly, thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.