Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

subhendude
Employee
Employee

Bind dynamic column to the table

I've a dataset as mentioned below

subhendude_1-1652719478922.png

Please note the column names are dynamic in nature. It changes every week because of the to and from date within the parenthesis. This is blocking to select the field to the table visualization because setting them now will definitely break in next week with the change in the column names.

Is there anyway in Power BI to use the same dataset keeping the view intact? Alternative is to use matrix table but wanted to evaluate if it is possible in Power BI without using matrix table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'd recommend unpivoting the columns other than Products to prevent having to deal with dynamic column names (and then, yes, use the unpivoted column names as the column headers in a matrix visual).

Having an unstable table structure (dynamic column names) is likely to cause lots of trouble keeping a report up-to-date. Avoid if at all possible.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'd recommend unpivoting the columns other than Products to prevent having to deal with dynamic column names (and then, yes, use the unpivoted column names as the column headers in a matrix visual).

Having an unstable table structure (dynamic column names) is likely to cause lots of trouble keeping a report up-to-date. Avoid if at all possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.