Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cbutler
Helper III
Helper III

Bilingual dashboards, what's the best way for customers to switch languages on a report?

Hi all #PowerBIExperts,

I have to make all of my reports bilingually, I am able to do a lot by creating lookups.......overall this works mostly... but I have many limitations and somethings don’t work at all. Its very time consuming and I think there must be an easier way of doing this! I just don’t know it yet…..

So my question is can I switch columns or a table based on a selected value?

eg is there a way I can say if “English” is selected the use columns A, C, E, G
Or if “Welsh” is selected use columns B, D, F, H

Or if I can put all the Welsh in one table…..and English in another how can I switch when a language is selected?

None of the data is changing, only the text fields, in my example below, I have text fields like school name, catchment area, school type etc that would need to change.

These reports will be published to web so need to be controlled on the report page by the customer. Either by a slicer or a selection of some sort. 
Eng.PNGWelsh.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
cvillami
Regular Visitor

Hi @Cbutler,

I read your post and found it very useful.  I was wondering if you finally received and answer to your question about switching columns to get the descriptions for the languages used in the report?

I have worked with other BI tools and this is somehting that can be easily done to get the descriptions in the language needed.  

Similar to your post, I was able to create a bilingual report using a combination of methods, e.g. Language Slicer a bridge table suggested by Emin Uzun. For some long texts we used dax formulas linked to the slicer.

I recently participated in the Power BI Summit and Markus E. and Damir M.  gave a presentation about a new method.  The presentation is not available but I hope he can share it with the Power BI community.   

Our main challenge now is to create a new dashboard using text as slicer, in the language selected by the user. 

Does anybody have a new approach that could work for this purpose?

Note: 

These are other recent post I found, that are vey good but still don't work in our case

Hi @Cbutler 

I found an interesting video may help you Multilanguage Multilingual reports in Power BI.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Hi @Cbutler 

did you solve your problem?

If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors