Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bigquery connection error

Hi, I get the following message when attempting to connect to my bigquery database:

ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverSupport] (1120) SSL verification failed because the server host name specified for the connection does not match the "CN" entry in the "Subject" field or any of the "DNS Name" entries of the "Subject Alternative Name" field in the server certificate. ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverSupport] (1120) SSL verification failed because the server host name specified for the connection does not match the "CN" entry in the "Subject" field or any of the "DNS Name" entries of the "Subject Alternative Name" field in the server certificate.

The weird thing is that it is pretty random when I get the message. Sometimes the connection works perfectly for an entire day, and then does not work the next day (without any changes to the pbix file except refreshing). Sometimes it even starts out fine and then breaks in the middle of the refresh with the same error message.

I have checked all the existing boards without finding anything that helps, including permission rights (my user is the owner and admin of all projects), and my connection (I have tried many different networks). I have also asked others within my organisation to try and connect from their PBI desktop - and they experience the same inconsistent error. 

Any ideas to what the error is or what it means in relation to my connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that the solution proposed by microsoft support works:

In PBI Desktop open the report and goto to "Transform data" -> "Advanced Editor".
2. Add command timeout value such as:
Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database([CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 0, 30, 0)]),

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that the solution proposed by microsoft support works:

In PBI Desktop open the report and goto to "Transform data" -> "Advanced Editor".
2. Add command timeout value such as:
Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database([CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 0, 30, 0)]),

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for your help! I also read the other thread with the same issues, but they did not find any solution. But it sounds very plausible that it is a problem with cerficates. However, I cannot find anywhere in PowerBI Desktop where you can install certificates - the link was about sql server. Can you help me to where the connection certificates are actually stored? Thanks a lot....

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to use "Google BigQuery" connector.

Connect to a Google BigQuery database in Power BI Desktop 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

no

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.