Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Best way to visualise ranking

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to visualise rankings? i.e. where 1 is best and 10 is worst?

As Power BI does not have the ability to invert Y axis using a bar/line chart confuses users as the lowest ranked have the biggest bars. We have tested multiplying by -1 by this confuses users as the inverse ranks are shown.

Any ideas appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@itchyeyeballs ,

Use "DESC" instead of "ASC" and check if the bar chart can reverse.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@itchyeyeballs ,

In this senario, I would suggest you to use DAX function RANKX(), you can set Ascending order or Descending order in RANKX() function. More details please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/rankx-function-dax.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, we can calculate the ranks no problem its how to visualise them is the issue, I cant find a visual in Power BI that lets me represent 1 = good, 5 = ok, 10 = bad

There are lots of separete requests for an invert Y axis function in the ideas section which would help, Excel graphs make this easy.

@itchyeyeballs ,

You may create a measure using SWITCH() function like pattern below:

Flag =
SWITCH ( Table[RANK], 1, "good", 5, "ok", 10, "bad" )

Thank you @v-yuta-msft ,

My explaination may not have been clear though.

We have a table with 100+ rows, each row represents a seperate orgnaisation and has a unique rank column based on thier performance. At the moment the visuals all give the impression that the worst performs are the best

For example, in the bar chart below higher ranks (worse performance) give a larger bar which is confusing

rnaks.PNG

@itchyeyeballs ,

So the rank column is generated by rankx() function, right? RANKX(<table>, <expression>[, <value>[, <order>[, <ties>]]]), in order parameter you can use "ASC" instead of "DESC".

Hi,

Yes it is calculated like that.

The problem is users always assume that a bigger bar is better, its not intuitive for them when the smallest bar signifies the best.

@itchyeyeballs ,

Use "DESC" instead of "ASC" and check if the bar chart can reverse.

Thank you

#Unsubscribe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.