Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mork
Helper V
Helper V

Best way to present text?

Hello all,

I have some project table with data. One of the columns of the table is a "Project Description" column that contains text data.

This text is not that long one to two paragraphs tops, and it comes with arbitrary HTML (<p> </p> etc.).

What is the best way to present this text? a textbox would be ideal but Power BI doesn't provide one that gets feeded from a table.

The closest solution that I have is using the long text viewer custom visual but unfortunately that visual doesn't render HTML. I contaced the author and he said he has no plans on supporting HTML rendering. I could easily remove the arbitrary HTML from my text but that's not the point. 

Presenting the data in a single paragraph is a deal breaker for me and I need to find a different way that will allow me to present text with paragraphs that will be feeded from my table.

It amazes me that a visual that can do this doesn't exist yet. Presenting text should be a basic function of power bi. 

As for the third party cutom visual, I don't get the point of having a long text viewer if the text will onlybe in a single paragraph.

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Mork,

According to your description, you are looking for a visual to display text data, right?

If that is the case, why not use a table or matrix to display it?

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Charlie Liao

I'm not using a table or a matrix because the text I have to present is two to three paragraphs long in each cell.

The log text viewer visual would be ideal but it doesn't render HTML.

The Project Web App provides fields to enter multiline text (for example project descriptions/notes) and it feeds that text to Power BI but power BI has no way of presenting multiline text that is easy to read.

This is something mandatory for every reporting tool.

Looking for exactly the same feature for the same use case. A button inside of a table, on which you could click to get a detailled text description in a pop up would be great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.