Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

halomo97
Advocate I
Advocate I

Best way to model data where multiple dimentions are dependent on each other

I'm trying to work out the best way to model our data in Power BI. I've read a lot around star/snowflake/galaxy schemas, and they look like great ways to model data however I'm struggling to fit the principals to the data I have. The structure is that there are investors who invest in fund-of-funds, these then invest in venture funds who in tern invest in companies (I haven’t even started looking at adding in the company data to the model!). The tricky part is that one investor can invest in many fund of funds, one fund of fund can invest in many venture funds who in tern invest in many companies, same goes when you go back up that structure. When selecting say a venture fund, the user would expect to see the fund of funds that invest in it and the investors that invest in those fund of funds, same goes for selecting anything else, they want to see the related entities and realted records recorded in fact tables.

I’ve created two bridging tables, investor_investment and commitments so there are one to many relationships between the tables. I’m then thinking I’ll need to set it up to filter working both ways between these tables the bridging tables and dimentions. Fact tables are then linked to the bridging tables and in some cases the fund of funds or companies.

Is this a good way of setting this up or am I missing something? I’ve read that filtering tables in both directions should be avoided if possible but I can’t see a way round it. This structure doesn’t look like any I’ve seen recommended which is why I'm questioning if I've missed something. I've added in a diagram below to help. Any help would be appreciated thanks!datamodel.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can filter other dimension tables to show only the subset of a selection using a simple measure as a filter for each slicer in the filter pane:

Filter Slicers = COUNTROWS (RELATEDTABLE(Fact table))

add the measure to each slicer and set the value to greater or equal to 1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can filter other dimension tables to show only the subset of a selection using a simple measure as a filter for each slicer in the filter pane:

Filter Slicers = COUNTROWS (RELATEDTABLE(Fact table))

add the measure to each slicer and set the value to greater or equal to 1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Thank you ever so much!! I can really clean up my model doing that, hadn't thought of using a measure to filter

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.