Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SkillVill

Best way to get good at Power BI?

My employer offered me a new position, but I need to get strong skills at Power BI. I started to pass some courses here, but I understand that's not enough. Also, I tried to read Microsoft docs about power bi but it's confusing.

What tutorials, classes, or materials would be the best for going about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arkan_Hazm_
Frequent Visitor

Hi, It's good news that Power BI is expanding very fast.
To be honest, practice makes perfect, Youtube tutorials are best for beginners most of them also provide the data sample that they working on in the videos,

follow these steps to gain more:
1- Get data from an excel and create some simple visualization
2- Try to use DAX for creating measures
3- Use data transformation to avoid unnecessary data

then dive more with youtube instructors,

That's how i started

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

Been asking similar question one year ago, I would say to you:

1. Feel the advantages of Power BI. You may find some fancy promotional videos about Power BI trainings. Don't dive deep in the beginning.  Relate the advantages you feeled to your daily work.
  2. Then try to start with watching some simple and step-by-step videos and learn to build exactly the same report.
  3. When it is done, then try to use what you have learned so far in your work. 
  4. You may feel excited first with the increased productivity. Continue trying till you get confused and frustrated. 
  5. Then find some good books to read through. 
  6. Then try to build report with increase complexity.
  7. You might feel confident then, try to teach others. 
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SkillVill I think Radacad.com has some great stuff. SQLbi.com website is great. Perytus' YouTube channel. Best overall platform though is probably enterprisedna.co (paid). Very well organized and tons of resources. Allows you to create your own customized learning plan, lots of industry specific expertise, lots of best practice guides and a boat load of tools. Also, their real world challenges are a great way to hone your skills. There are tons of free materials of course but it can be confusing knowing where to start. If you are wanting to gain expertise quickly and need a helpful guide along the way it's well worth the money imo.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Think of Power BI in four layers and split your learning accordingly.

1) Data shaping in Power query.

2) Calculation logic via DAX in the model

3) Visual story telling when building reports

4) Making the best use of the Power BI service

I found YouTube resources great for 1, 3 and 4. (Guy In a Cube, Wynn Hopkins are great resources)

On the DAX front I think a deeper structured learning experience is vital. In my experience the best place for this are the training courses at SQLBI. These guys literally wrote the book.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Download power Bi desktop on you home laptop and play something new every day.

Do all of these Free courses.  (It will takes you weeks.)

Also look at problems on the forum and try answer some.

Then study for and pass the Power BI exams

https://www.youtube.com/c/GuyinaCube/playlists

https://www.youtube.com/c/PowerBIPro

https://www.youtube.com/c/CurbalEN

https://www.youtube.com/c/EnterpriseDNA/playlists

Thanks for reaching out for help.

I put in a lot of effort to help you, now please quickly help me by giving kudos.

Remember we are unpaid volunteers and here to coach you with Power BI and DAX skills and techniques, not do the users job for them. So please click the thumbs up and accept as solution button. 

If you give someone a fish then you only give them one meal, but if you teach them how to fish then they can feed themselves and teach others for a lifetime.  I prefer to teach members on this forum techniques rather give full solutions and do their job. You can then adapt the technique for your solution, learn some DAX skills for next time and soon become a Power BI Super User like me. 

One question per ticket please. If you need to extend your request then please raise a new ticket.

You will get a quicker response and each volunteer solver will get the kudos they deserve. Thank you ! 

Arkan_Hazm_
Frequent Visitor

Hi, It's good news that Power BI is expanding very fast.
To be honest, practice makes perfect, Youtube tutorials are best for beginners most of them also provide the data sample that they working on in the videos,

follow these steps to gain more:
1- Get data from an excel and create some simple visualization
2- Try to use DAX for creating measures
3- Use data transformation to avoid unnecessary data

then dive more with youtube instructors,

That's how i started

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Best way is to get a real project and get end-to-end experience. The following Youtube playlist has a very good course. Though it is old, most of the concepts are still relevant - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1N57mwBHtN0JFoKSR0n-tBkUJHeMP2cP.

Please note that tutorials and course are not going to be enough. You will need to get involved in a real project, apply the skills you learn. If there is anything specific you find confusing, you can search the forums here for answer or ask the question here. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.