Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to categorize multiple columns with multiple values in each cell

Hello everyone!

I need to create a dashboard out of a microsoft form that is already in use for a while. The problem that I am having is the extract has around 50 columns with around 10 columns have multiple answers within 1 cell ( it is a check box in the form with max of 10 answers).

ex.

IDCategories
uniqueID1cat1;cat2;cat3;cat4;cat5;cat6;cat7;cat;8;cat9;cat10
uniqueID2cat1;cat2;cat3;cat8;cat10
uniqueID3cat4;cat5

the example above happens to be on other columns as well. Counting the values in each cell will not help as I need it to create a visual out of the categories.

Do you have any best practice in this case or the only way is to split the values into columns?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , the Ideal would be to split that into new rows. but with 10 such columns, it might explode in terms of rows.

and the other way is to have an independent table with all search values(cat1,cat2,cat3, etc) and use search to create measure

but if you select multiple values in such case it would be another challenge

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , the Ideal would be to split that into new rows. but with 10 such columns, it might explode in terms of rows.

and the other way is to have an independent table with all search values(cat1,cat2,cat3, etc) and use search to create measure

but if you select multiple values in such case it would be another challenge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really difficult but I will try your suggestion. Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.