Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FrankMcQ
Frequent Visitor

Best way to calculate columns based on other tables

I think this is more a best practice design issue than anything else. Any advice would be gratefully received

I have a calculated calendar that gives me:

Date            Fiscal Year     Fiscal Year Start Date  Fiscal Year End Date    Open Hours
01/10/2017 2017              01/10/2017                 30/09/2018                  7.5
02/10/2017 2017             01/10/2017                  30/09/2018                  7.5
03/10/2017 2017             01/10/2017                  30/09/2018                  0

etc.

I also have a list of staff
Staff Member    Start Date           End Date
Joe                     01/11/2017        -
Bob                    01/04/2018        31/10/2019
Mary                  01/01/2019        -

I basically want to calculate the percentage of a year that a person worked, i.e.
Staff   2017     2018     2019
Joe     89%      100%    100%
Bob    50%      100%    11%
Mary   -           -           25%

What would the best way to calculate this be?

Many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Refer to this blog :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

From this, you can get a number of days the user has worked in and year  by counting dates and then divide by number days should give you %

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-wi...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods/ba-p...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

View solution in original post

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrankMcQ ,

We can create a measure and used in a matrix visual to meet your requirement:

Percentage Of Work Hours = 
VAR startDay =
    MIN ( 'Staff List'[Start Date] )
VAR EndDay =
    MAX ( 'Staff List'[End Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ),
        FILTER (
            'Calendar',
            'Calendar'[Date] >= startDay
                && IF ( ISBLANK ( EndDay ), TRUE (), 'Calendar'[Date] <= EndDay )
        )
    )
        / SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] )

6.jpg

Or we can create three calculated columns in the staff list table:

2017 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2017
            && 'Calendar'[Date] >= [Start Date]
            && IF ( ISBLANK ( [End Date] ), TRUE (), 'Calendar'[Date] <= [End Date] )
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2017 )

2018 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2018
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2018 )

2019 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2019
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2019 )

7.jpg

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and expected result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FrankMcQ
Frequent Visitor

Apologies in the delayed response, I have spent the week understanding and implementing both solutions. I think I understand the issues much better now and you have both been a great help.

amitchandak you have implemented a really comprehensive solution that actually raised new functionality and feature requirements in my stakeholders - I have implemented your staff tracking chart in my internal solution.

Dong Li you provided a way that I could get to the figures I needed which is the annual estimate for staff costs.

I have amalgamated both solutions into a single pbix file which I have attached.

Unfortunately the solution I now have is based on a measure for each year - this is not the most effective when trying to chart trends.

Do you believe there is a better way to get to the final chart on the annual numbers page?

Many thanks for all your help!

Capture.PNG

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrankMcQ ,

We can create a measure and used in a matrix visual to meet your requirement:

Percentage Of Work Hours = 
VAR startDay =
    MIN ( 'Staff List'[Start Date] )
VAR EndDay =
    MAX ( 'Staff List'[End Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            'Calendar',
            'Calendar'[Date] >= startDay
                && IF ( ISBLANK ( EndDay ), TRUE (), 'Calendar'[Date] <= EndDay )
        )
    )
        / SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] )

6.jpg

Or we can create three calculated columns in the staff list table:

2017 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2017
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2017 )

2018 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2018
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2018 )

2019 = 
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        'Calendar',
        'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2019
    )
)
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Calendar'[Open Hours] ), 'Calendar'[Fiscal Year] = 2019 )

7.jpg

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and expected result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Refer to this blog :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

From this, you can get a number of days the user has worked in and year  by counting dates and then divide by number days should give you %

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-wi...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods/ba-p...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.