Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ilcaa72
Helper IV
Helper IV

Best way to add YEAR from date column

i have a Sales table that has dates in a column, 4/15/2015, etc.  I just wanted to show the Years. I thought I could just make a new measure and use a formula similiar to this...

years = YEAR('Sales Table' [dates])

i dont even get the table/column names with Intellisense... why cant I do something like this in PBI?  Whats the proper way?  a short explanation would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ilcaa72,

YEAR function expect a single date in datetime or text format, containing the year you want to find. 
You can get:

YEAR(LASTDATE('Sales Table' [dates]))

or

YEAR(FIRSTDATE(Calendar[Date]))

To obtain the list of years you can mark the field as Date Hierarchy and select only the years

años.png

Regards.

View solution in original post

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

if you create a calculated column in your sales table you can use the function you already have. The benefit of creating a calculated column over a measure is that you can use the calculated column as a slicer. The price you pay, is an additional memory footprint, depending on the number of rows in your sales table.

I would recomment that you consider to create a separate date table and relate this table with your sales table. Here you will find some date related calculations that heavily rely on the usage of a separate date table: https://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

By the way, intellisense recognizes that the context expects an aggregate function, for this reason it does suggest a tablename. This behavior often reminds me that I should check my syntax and the context 🙂

Hope this what you are looking for

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

if you create a calculated column in your sales table you can use the function you already have. The benefit of creating a calculated column over a measure is that you can use the calculated column as a slicer. The price you pay, is an additional memory footprint, depending on the number of rows in your sales table.

I would recomment that you consider to create a separate date table and relate this table with your sales table. Here you will find some date related calculations that heavily rely on the usage of a separate date table: https://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

By the way, intellisense recognizes that the context expects an aggregate function, for this reason it does suggest a tablename. This behavior often reminds me that I should check my syntax and the context 🙂

Hope this what you are looking for

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ilcaa72,

YEAR function expect a single date in datetime or text format, containing the year you want to find. 
You can get:

YEAR(LASTDATE('Sales Table' [dates]))

or

YEAR(FIRSTDATE(Calendar[Date]))

To obtain the list of years you can mark the field as Date Hierarchy and select only the years

años.png

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.