Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ani26
Helper III
Helper III

Best practices to follow when the data size is beyond 10 GB

Hi Team,

I need your help in understanding what the best practices to follow when the data size is beyond 10 GB and would keep on increasing further. Should I be using Direct Query or import one? And also what would be the pros and cons of both query methods.

Kindly help me with the same and also if there are any links which would provide me an in detailed understanding of the best practises to be followed in such scenarios.

Thanks,

Ani

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ani26 ,

Based on this documentThere is a 1 GB limit, per dataset, that is imported into Power BI if the workspace is not under Premium Capacity Node. Based on this document, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size.

If your dataset will increase very fast and does not under a Premium Capacity Node , we suggest you to try the DirectQuery Mode, you can refer to this document to get more information about the benefit and limitation of DirectQuery Mode.

You can also refer to this document about how to configure datasets grow beyond 10 GB in the service on refresh if it is under Premium Capacity Node.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ani26 ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ani26 ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ani26 ,

Based on this documentThere is a 1 GB limit, per dataset, that is imported into Power BI if the workspace is not under Premium Capacity Node. Based on this document, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size.

If your dataset will increase very fast and does not under a Premium Capacity Node , we suggest you to try the DirectQuery Mode, you can refer to this document to get more information about the benefit and limitation of DirectQuery Mode.

You can also refer to this document about how to configure datasets grow beyond 10 GB in the service on refresh if it is under Premium Capacity Node.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.