Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisWilliams
Advocate II
Advocate II

Best practices for manipulating data

I'm new to Power BI and I'm trying to learn the best practices for what might be common tasks.

In this example, think of a single table that I import from an OData feed, like an employee directory.  I want to maintain this table in it's natural state for other users who may want to query it, but I also want to create pre-built aggregations like "Count of Users by Department" or "Count of Users by State" which are obviously group operations.

Is is possible to create a new table based off of the original table and then apply a grouping to this new table?  In this scenario, I'm anticipating that the data will be loaded or refreshed once by refreshing the orginal table.  Or do I have to perform several Get Data operations and then perform groupings on each table?

Thanks for any hints to get started.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You would only get the table once and then you would create a "Count" measure which could be simply:

Count = COUNTROWS(TableName)

Then, you do your grouping in your visualizations. You could simply create a table visualization and put Department and your Count measure in the table and you would have your count grouping for Department. Same thing in a different table visualization for State and Count.

So, in your data model, you have a single data (fact) table. In your report, you have 2 table visualizations.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You would only get the table once and then you would create a "Count" measure which could be simply:

Count = COUNTROWS(TableName)

Then, you do your grouping in your visualizations. You could simply create a table visualization and put Department and your Count measure in the table and you would have your count grouping for Department. Same thing in a different table visualization for State and Count.

So, in your data model, you have a single data (fact) table. In your report, you have 2 table visualizations.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, this helped me to get started.  I actually tried creating a measure something like:

ByDepartmentMeasure = COUNTA(MyDepartmentColumn)

In my test, this seemed to work out also.  I'm going to do another test when I get a larger data set.  Do you think this approach creates a similar result to what you're suggesting?

@ChrisWilliams

It should work.

By the way, maybe you're a little misunderstanding Smoupre's advice? To get the headcount, you just need a measure as

HeadCount = DISTINCTCOUNT('Employees'[user])

It would be aggregated according to the given aggregating level.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.