Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Alanoudfahad
Frequent Visitor

Best practice when accessing production DB

Hello Community!

I have recently faced a challange and I'm hoping someone in this amazing community has a work around for it.

My organization just adopted a new security rule where you can't access production data from PowerBI desktop. You'll have to access the database using a jump server and do everything there then upload your report to powerbi report server. Obviously this is very complicated.

Is this common practice? This is the first time I'm facing such problem and I can't get my head around it.

Facts: 

- the account I use has a read-only authorization

- the database is hosted on prem. not cloud.

- we use PowerBI report server desktop application for modeling and design then upload it to the server.

is there any work around that I can propose to the security team?

Any ideas are very much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Alanoudfahad 

For secure access to databases or reports, it is recommended that PBIX files be prohibited from downloading in tenant settings.

vzhangti_0-1637561966810.png

You can also manage the permissions of workspace members and dataset permissions. Please refer to the following documents for help.

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Give users access to the new workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.