Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AP_BI
Frequent Visitor

Best practice in report building with SSAS Olap Cube Connection

Hello together, 

I have a general question on building dashboards from OLAP cube dataset. I consume data from a big cube connection where each KPI does not have its own datafield but is stored in "KPI". To use a specific KPI for a visual, I select the required KPI in the filter pane which is working fine if I only need one information (e.g. bar chart or line chart). 

AP_BI_1-1643275706686.png

Visualising capabilities are very limited if I want to display more than one KPI. In this case I am forced to show in a Table or Matrix chart. 

AP_BI_0-1643275620598.png

My question: Is there any solution or "best practice" in handling cube datasources having splitted KPI Name and Value fields? As it is SSAS Live Connection I am also not able to add Measures (which could act as workaround)

Would be very grateful for any help!
Andreas

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AP_BI 

There are many limitations of SSAS live connection, but this is also the reason why SSAS models are highly secure.

Currently you cannot create measures in Power BI Live Connection, but you can add them in your original SSAS model.

Related tutorials:

Measures in tabular models 

Video_Report level measures with Power BI live connections 

Video_Measures and Measure Groups on SSAS Tabular Models 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hello @v-easonf-msft ,

thank you for your response regarding SSAS Measure creating answer. Could you respond on the first part of the question? 

I am looking for best practice in handling that mentioned SSAS case if quantitative value field and KPI name are splitted fields (I described my handling into detail in my previous post)

Thank you
Andreas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.