Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Best practice - checking multiple fields for a value

I have about 10 columns that i need to check to see if a value is present then assign it an indicator.  I need to check them all at and if any of them have a value then the indicactor is assigned.

Ways of doing this could be summing them all and if the value is > 0 then assign the indictor.

Just out of curiosity though what do people think is the best way to do this and would you do this in Power Query with a custom column or in DAX?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @vanessafvg

I would say it depends. Man Very Happy 

My first thought is the same like yours. 

I would use Power Query. It is my first choice for transformation.

A solution in DAX would be by calc column 

Column = IF(ISBLANK(Table1[Column1]+Table1[Column2]+Table1[Column3]);"no values")

But I don't think it is a better way.

View solution in original post

Do you need the 10 columns for anything else aside from assigning the indicator?  If not, you could possibly unpivot the data, add a calculated column for the indicator, then re-pivot the data with only the needed columns and something like a DISTINCTCOUNT on the indicator column.

I would think you'd be able to do that in the Edit Queries window, so while it technically is PowerQuery, you wouldn't have to write the code yourself.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @vanessafvg

I would say it depends. Man Very Happy 

My first thought is the same like yours. 

I would use Power Query. It is my first choice for transformation.

A solution in DAX would be by calc column 

Column = IF(ISBLANK(Table1[Column1]+Table1[Column2]+Table1[Column3]);"no values")

But I don't think it is a better way.

Do you need the 10 columns for anything else aside from assigning the indicator?  If not, you could possibly unpivot the data, add a calculated column for the indicator, then re-pivot the data with only the needed columns and something like a DISTINCTCOUNT on the indicator column.

I would think you'd be able to do that in the Edit Queries window, so while it technically is PowerQuery, you wouldn't have to write the code yourself.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.